PDA

View Full Version : Audio upgrade?

AUDICAB99
08-05-2007, 05:52 PM
In our 1999 cabriolet we have an Audi Gamma head unit,this also controls a 6CD changer in the boot.
Was there a standard Audi upgrade for this unit?
Will it sound better if i put an upgraded unit in?

Basically i think the sound of the system is rather poor.It does have the built in sub in the rear seat,but the whole sound of the system sounds flat and dull..

Obviously tried settings in various points but still not happy.

Dont really want to go to aftermarket head unit and start messing with wiring and different speakers etc etc..

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Ian W
08-05-2007, 06:11 PM
improved speakers and head unit will make the biggest difference mate.

chances are the stock sub is crap (as it is in the Toyota Supra) so you're better off binning it and getting decent speakers with a decent head unit.

not as easy as you were hoping but far from difficult ;)

AUDICAB99
08-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Aye...Thought as much.

Any idea what size the 4 main speakers are??Could start there and see how it sounds???

Dont really want to go away from the standard looking car.Seen loads of cars where the head unit looks like a wart in the middle of the dash(even expensive installs!!)

So 4 discreet speakers could be the way forward,cant do any harm anyway!!

Ian W
08-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Absolutlely mate, stock look but improved internals is the way to go.

I've got an Alpine head unit (no idea what stock looks like by the way) and it looks neat imo.

Front speakers if the same as my 80 are just 4" speakers and really easy to upgrade, just a case of levering the covers off and they're just held by a single screw.

Not so sure about the rears, could be the same size (perhaps a little larger). Only way to get to those is removing the door cards though.

good luck.

Ian

AUDICAB99
08-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Suppose its another job for the weekend eh!!

just trying to find a site now that gives all OE speaker sizes..Not having any luck though :(
Would save me pulling the door cards off,and the rear panels in the back seat compartment look a bit tricky!!Could do without pullin it to bits twice!! ha ha

Ian W
08-05-2007, 06:31 PM
just trying to find a site now that gives all OE speaker sizes..Not having any luck though :(
Would save me pulling the door cards off,and the rear panels in the back seat compartment look a bit tricky!!Could do without pullin it to bits twice!! ha ha

so the fronts are in the door card in your cab then?

could well be different sizes to mine then as my fronts are in the top of the dash.

i found my speaker sizes on www.audifans.net

:)

brd
16-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi,
I had the same issue... crap sound in a 1994 cab... so I changed the head to a reasonable Sony unit, changed the dash speakers to a pair of 4" Pioneers (easy job), and put a set of nice Focal 6" (I think) in the rear sides - actually very easy to remove the panels... just get something in behind on top and gently pry the panel out... a doddle. I needed to cut and bend a little piece of metal away behind to get the speakers in, but the result is a neat job and a whole lot better sound for not so much. Oh, and I routed decent cables to the back speakers aswell for good bass (and because the rear are amplified at the speaker, not from the head unit).... all for about 250 euro well spent.

Hope this helps.
B.

AUDICAB99
16-05-2007, 04:59 PM
so the fronts are in the door card in your cab then?

could well be different sizes to mine then as my fronts are in the top of the dash.

i found my speaker sizes on www.audifans.net (http://www.audifans.net)

:)

No :Blush2: :Blush2: :Blush2:

In top of the dash too...For some reason i thought they were in the front part of the door card!!!:dunno:

Ian W
16-05-2007, 05:45 PM
No :Blush2: :Blush2: :Blush2:

In top of the dash too...For some reason i thought they were in the front part of the door card!!!:dunno:

lol

no worries mate, i wasn't entirely sure and assumed that it was the same as mine.

you're lucky it is, as said it's an easy job to change them over.

AUDICAB99
16-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Tssccchh i feel a bit of a fool!!

Never mind it wont be the first,or the last i guess..ha ha..

BarryD
16-05-2007, 08:16 PM
You might find you have no rear speakers at all! I don't appear to have any in my '99 car.

AudiSport
29-05-2007, 11:15 PM
How did you get on...

Have just bought a 98S Cab and have the same crap sound..
Can anyone confirm the speaker sizes for me to get some quotes?

Cheers!