PDA

View Full Version : Loose Door Handle

Piez
08-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I have 04 1.8T and over the last few weeks I've noticed the outside drivers door handle is getting looser. Compared to the other handles on the car it doesn't have the same stiffness of resistance when you open it and it rattles sometimes when you shut the door.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you get it fixed?

Dillon's A4
09-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi Piez ,
I have a 53 plate A4 Avant 19TDI . My drivers door handle is also loose , when you shut all the other doors their is welcombe "Thud" , on the drivers door it has a "rattle" . I did look at removing the interior trim to see if there is a nut or screw that could be tightend but it looks a big job . If you find an answer let me know , and i will do the same ..:Blush:

Piez
09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I mailed the sales guy I purchased it from and he tells me this is a known problem, they even had it happen to one of the demo cars. Unfortunatly it is not covered by the warrenty but he does think it shouldn't be an expensive fix.

spainy
10-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Had this happen to me resulted in the handle falling off. The guy I bought the car from repaired it free of charge. There is a stainless sliding clip which holds the handle in place it slides across the back of the handle. I am guessing you payed around the £10000 mark for your car and the handle falls off and its not covered under warranty?

Celtic Cousin
10-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I improved it (i.e for a few months) by the careful addition of some silicone. But any info on a permanent fix would be welcome.

nutter1980
19-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Did anyone manange to get an easy fix for this common issue ?

Mitch22
19-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Same fix as Celtic Cousin. Applied small amount of silicon rubber via syringe under outer part of handle. No more rattles....but would be interested if there is a permanent fix. I also was told by '*******' that problem wasn't covered under warranty even though a mate who works there says its a very common complaint!!! Good Luck Mitch

slinger247
23-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Mine has just started doing this and its quite annoying. Whereabouts do you put the silicon?

nutter1980
23-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I too would like to know what method was used , what type of silicone and what did u use to apply it.

A brief description would be nice :beerchug:

Mitch22
25-02-2008, 11:20 AM
1. Silcon - DC3145 (Dow Corning) used to be called RTV3145 but I suppose any clear silicon for outdoor use would be fine. DC3145 has both sealing & adhesive properties.

2. Load silicon in a small syringe with micro nozzle. Silicon can be bought in small syringes. Probably could use normal silicon tube and applicator with small cut in nozzle but it's gonna be alot more awkard to apply. I work in Aerospace Industry so materials mentioned above are readily available!!!!!!

3. I used two wedge shaped match sticks to hold outer part of handle away from inner.

4. Squeeze in silicon. Don't be afraid to squeeze in too much as excess will come out later.

5. Remove wedges.

6. Squeeze 2 parts of handle together.

7. Remove any access immediately from outer edges of handle to give a clean edge. (Use Isopropyl Alcohol wipes - very useful).

8. Allow manufacturer's recommended silicon curing time.

Job done! I've had no further rattles!

Dillon's A4
28-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know how the steel clip is fitted to the back of the handle .
ie does the clip slide down from above , or from front to back , or back towards the front ? I think that you can push a credit card between the door and the open handle and push the clip back into place , maybe , if i could find out which way ...:Blush:

MATT2OOSX
28-02-2008, 07:33 PM
the proper way to fix it is to slide the metal clip behind the handle towards the rear of the car. i'll try and explain...
1.lock the car
2. lift the 'loose' handle
3.using a flat blade long screwdriver look for a metal tab roughly in the middle of the handle near the top(you need to press your face against the door and look towards the rear of the car to see it)
4. basically that needs tapping back abit

not the best explanation but hey i tried

The Glove
29-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Have a guess what I'll be upto this weekend! :biglaugh:

This has been bugging me for weeks.

Cheers guys

slinger247
29-02-2008, 03:29 PM
the proper way to fix it is to slide the metal clip behind the handle towards the rear of the car. i'll try and explain...
1.lock the car
2. lift the 'loose' handle
3.using a flat blade long screwdriver look for a metal tab roughly in the middle of the handle near the top(you need to press your face against the door and look towards the rear of the car to see it)
4. basically that needs tapping back abit

not the best explanation but hey i tried

Nice one I'll give that a bash this weekend :D

weejp
01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
I've been experiencing the exact same problem with my drivers door handle. I listed it on here some time ago, but no fixes were suggested. Happy to see a few fixes now listed, will hopefully get the time to try one soon.

Has anyone had a problem with actual door dropping?? just very slightly?? Every now and again, if I don't close the door with enough force the door doesn't close properly. It's nothing major but it's the only thing that annoys me about my car.

I've heard of grabbing the bottom of the door and yanking it upwards with some vigour, anyone had any success with this method.? More to the point has anyone done anything adverse using this method..? Comments appreciated.

Dillon's A4
03-03-2008, 09:01 AM
:biglaugh: FIXED IT !!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh:

Thanks to MATT200SX on his Post .

I locked the door , looked down onto the top of the handle and could see the stainless clip just forward of the centre , i tried to get a small screwdriver between the door and the lifted handle but was afraid of marking the paintwork on the door . So i got an old "Nectar" card , slid it between the door and the handle at the front end , then slid it towards the back of the handle until i felt it had hit the clip , i then tapped the "Nectar" card towards the back , the card moved about 3mm and the job was a done . No More Rattles !!!!!

:beerchug:

The Glove
03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
:biglaugh: FIXED IT !!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh:

Thanks to MATT200SX on his Post .

I locked the door , looked down onto the top of the handle and could see the stainless clip just forward of the centre , i tried to get a small screwdriver between the door and the lifted handle but was afraid of marking the paintwork on the door . So i got an old "Nectar" card , slid it between the door and the handle at the front end , then slid it towards the back of the handle until i felt it had hit the clip , i then tapped the "Nectar" card towards the back , the card moved about 3mm and the job was a done . No More Rattles !!!!!

Yeah Cheers Matt200sx, problem solved:beerchug:
Took some pic's as I did it as the handle cover fell off in the process http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Pic 1 is with no cover and shows the clip at the top of the handle which needs to be pushed towards the back of the car.

The others show me doing this with a card - with and without handle cover (like you Dillion A4 didn't what to scratch paint with screwdriver)

Cheers

weejp
12-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Finally got a chance to try this and it worked..!! Very pleased indeed.

Thanks for the tips.. appreciated.

:beerchug::approve:

Mitch22
08-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Removed Silicon & did the credit card fix. Worked great!!! Thanks for tip guys!!!

bez101
08-04-2008, 09:14 PM
get anew clip from *******s remove door panel fit remove old clip refit new clip done easy

snorbitzz
10-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I have 04 1.8T and over the last few weeks I've noticed the outside drivers door handle is getting looser. Compared to the other handles on the car it doesn't have the same stiffness of resistance when you open it and it rattles sometimes when you shut the door.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you get it fixed?

hi there,i've had the same problem with my door handle!its really easy to fix,all you have to do is get yourself a long flat thin screwdriver,put some tape around the blade(this is just to protect your paintwork).hold the door handle in the open position,and look down the back of it where you will see a stainless steel clip.now with the door handle open slid your screwdriver in from the front of the handle and carefully slide the clip back into position,job done!!!!!!!

bosworth
14-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Took some pic's as I did it as the handle cover fell off in the process http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Pic 1 is with no cover and shows the clip at the top of the handle which needs to be pushed towards the back of the car.

The others show me doing this with a card - with and without handle cover (like you Dillion A4 didn't what to scratch paint with screwdriver)

Cheers
Hi thanks, without the photos i would have never found the clip. I didnt realise it could be accessed from the top. An anoying rattle now cured.
regards Paul

rhencullen1989
25-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Just tightened up my door handles, it would seem that with the passenger one you need to slide the stainless clip towards the FRONT of the car, and the drivers side towards the REAR of the car.

If you remove the handle trims completely, you can bend out the tabs on the stainless steel slider clip with a small screwdriver to make the fit more snug. Using an old credit card is an ideal tool as it will not scratch your paintwork.:approve:

easytiger
20-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Good work, this was bugging the crap out of me and am glad you guys found an easy fix. Just tapped both clips towards the centre on my 05 A4 and it worked a treat.

toff
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I tightened up my clip using the credit-card hint this weekend.

I'd just like to say thanks again for the info in this thread - my car door now slams with the trademark Audi quality "thud" as opposed to a Fiat metalic clunk :D

A hint to anybody else doing the repair: I initially thought there were two clips that both needed pushing towards the centre of the handle, but there is just one long clip that needs pushing in the direction of the back of the car.

Al.

Doctor46
24-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi,

I tightened up my clip using the credit-card hint this weekend.

I'd just like to say thanks again for the info in this thread - my car door now slams with the trademark Audi quality "thud" as opposed to a Fiat metalic clunk :D

A hint to anybody else doing the repair: I initially thought there were two clips that both needed pushing towards the centre of the handle, but there is just one long clip that needs pushing in the direction of the back of the car.

Al.

Ditto!!!

Got half way through reading this thread and popped outside to try it. Top tip folks thanks. :beerchug:

nmc
07-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Cheers
:beerchug: Brilliant thanks for the pictures even managed it in the dark!!!:biglaugh:

jwhat
23-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I just did this, hopefully the thing stays on!

Thanks very much

A4yego
04-05-2010, 07:20 PM
My first foray onto the Forum and I find the solution to the door handle problem, thankyou for the help!

krisgrant311
04-05-2010, 10:29 PM
This has been bugging me for weeks and i fixed it in 30 seconds flat in the dark with a credit card :) Thanks guys.

a4suction
06-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Quality. 2 Years waiting and the handle is fixed!!! Mint.

However I still have the door dropping slightly same as

"weejp"

"Has anyone had a problem with actual door dropping?? just very slightly?? Every now and again, if I don't close the door with enough force the door doesn't close properly. It's nothing major but it's the only thing that annoys me about my car."

I do mean slightly too, fraction of an inch not much at all. Enough to notice when you try all the other doors.

Anyone any ideas?

auditekjim
07-05-2010, 12:06 AM
This is a very easy fix that you can do in about 2 min's. You need to pull handle as you would normal to open car. look down the back of the handle and there's a silver metal slide its hard to see but its there. You need to slide that to the left with a long fine screwdriver this goes 2 a stop and locks the door handle into place and this normaly cures fault. Take note use protection tape etc to prevent damage to door if you slip. If the door hadle is still lose you need 2 go the oposite way 2 the right. you can remove the outer handle. you can then see the metal slide bend the 2 tabs upwards and refit handle should then be tight.:D

DBSK
07-05-2010, 10:21 PM
This is a very easy fix that you can do in about 2 min's. You need to pull handle as you would normal to open car. look down the back of the handle and there's a silver metal slide its hard to see but its there. You need to slide that to the left with a long fine screwdriver this goes 2 a stop and locks the door handle into place and this normaly cures fault. Take note use protection tape etc to prevent damage to door if you slip. If the door hadle is still lose you need 2 go the oposite way 2 the right. you can remove the outer handle. you can then see the metal slide bend the 2 tabs upwards and refit handle should then be tight.:D

Credit card works better, but yeah, just slide the silver clip across and it secures them firming back in place again.

stevesnaz
08-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Brilliant. :biglaugh:

Just bought my A4 this week and noticed the handle rattle when I got home. Came upon this thread by chance and it worked a treat.

Thanks

ozwoldA4
10-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Saw this thread by chance and had been wondering if there was a simple fix to my rattling drivers door handle. Brilliant. Thanks for the info peeps. Isn't t'internet wonderful?!!

AliBailey88
15-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Saw this thread by chance and had been wondering if there was a simple fix to my rattling drivers door handle. Brilliant. Thanks for the info peeps. Isn't t'internet wonderful?!!

wel happy i found this thread, my drivers handle was ******* me off to the extent where the handle was rattling when i had the music up, all sorted in 10seconds!!

m4trix77
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I have a A4 S Line 2007 and can't see how to get to the innner part of the door handle. Anyone got any suggestions?

Toshi
20-07-2012, 05:15 AM
A left side back door of my 2005 A4 sedan B7 1.8T got the exactly same problem, but just get fixed by following your instruction with pics. It really works!!! Thanks a lot!!!

pauldazzle
21-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Great fix guys, my drivers door handle had been rattling & driving me mad since I bought the car in December.

Dan-Downey
21-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Cheers

Brilliant! This helped me loads. Thanks.

thefactorycat
15-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Hello

I've just bought a ten year old A4 1.9tdi and its in good nick but i'm fixing a few of the little jobs at the moment. The exterior door handle cover on the drivers door was loose and after reading some of the fixes on here i managed to fix it in two minutes. Locked car, pulled on handle so i could see the little metal slider behind the cover. There are a couple of little tabs which seemed to be pressed flat, so i lifted them up a bit with a thin screwdriver. Put the cover bit back where its supposed to be, then used an old bank card, (i say old i think it was my wife's current one) to slide the metal clip to the left. This holds the cover in place. Done and dusted and all home in time for tea and cakes. sweet.

pmonaghan
22-07-2013, 05:22 PM

Cheers

Worked like a charm! Thanks!!

Ruairi83
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Worked perfect thanks

unitzero
24-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Credit card trick worked for me on my B7 avant. Thanks for the suggestions - now I can close my door with a satisfying Germanic thud again ;)

PeterA.
02-09-2014, 10:58 PM
An old thread,but a brilliant fix,thanks :D

RF76
26-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Got same problem on 2006 A3, been told there's a clip you can see when you pull the handle to 'open' position, push said metal piece toward rear of car.... I Can see some metal thing but it won't budge, also the space between handle cover & actual handle is mm's tried even pushing some sponge into the space but still no joy😡 ... So either wait on losing it or to a ***********

RF76
26-11-2015, 06:58 PM
😂 jeezz censorship has gone crazy!! I wrote Steal_er_ship and that's been *'d out 😱

LiamCheckley
07-09-2016, 05:12 PM
I've actually made an account to say thank you!
I got back from a drive one day in my 06 A3 and my drivers door handle trim was missing, bought a new one from Audi (primed) for £18. Used the credit card trick to remove the passenger side one to give to spray place to colour match! Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk