PDA

View Full Version : Fuel economy bad and getting worse

mcnob
14-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I've noticed since my air mass meter was replaced that the fuel economy on my APU 1.8T has been getting gradually worse to the point where a 30 mile, carefully driven round trip will cost me about an eighth of the tank. The exhaust fumes smell really rich and noxious too.

It was only MOT'd in September and all was well with the emissions then.

Should a tune-up help or is it possible that one of the bank of sensors could be on it's way out? The replaced air mass meter seems fine so I can't blame cheap parts.

Crasher
14-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I would have it fault code read but non genuine Air Mass Meters are known for causing problems.

clintyboy12
14-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi, it must be the season for it, as I have just finished on a similar journey.
I have had the thermostat and temp sender replaced and that seemed to fix the problem. Not certain the Thermostat was faulty but as it was a cheap part I bought it at the same time as the temp sender, then got a local garage to fit it for me and do a fault code read - all clear on that front.

Have also used some Wynn's EGR cleaner in the airbox which has helped the smoking issue I had (can contribute to poor consumption).

For info, I also had changed the Air Mass Meter (and air filter element) because I thought that was the key culprit after reading a few posts here but when that didn't help I went down the 'stat and sender route.
There was a right load of cr*p in the airbox - leaves, fag butts etc! Can't have been doing it any good at all!

Not sure this helps you, you could try cleaning out your EGR valve first.