PDA

View Full Version : A6 2.5 td timing belt help plz

robert0881
14-12-2009, 01:03 PM
went out thius morning to start defrost car and as car hadnt moved for couple days and temp been about minus 7. Anyways car started and ran bit rough for maybe 20 secs then just stopped. i tried for a couple of minutes to start then i popped bonnet and hoses and water reserviour solid with ice. What i think has happened is that ice stopped the water pump and the timing belt has moved. when i took of the belt cover i culd see that the belt teeth are fairly stripped down and would suggest that the belt has indeed moved off the timing. To what extent im not sure. belt is still on and has plenty tension. but car will turn over and not fire.
Im i lucky enough to not have damaged the valves with this perticular model of engine or am i indeed in trouble lol.
thanks for your help

Crasher
14-12-2009, 02:20 PM
If you have not bent a valve you will be extremely lucky. The only way to tell is to put a new belt on and try it.

robert0881
14-12-2009, 04:26 PM
will i have damaged the water pump

Crasher
14-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Possibly but it is irrelevant as the water pump should always be replaced when doing the timing belt, as should the thermostat.

robert0881
14-12-2009, 06:17 PM
any ideas how much a water pump will cost me?

paul b
14-12-2009, 08:41 PM
any ideas how much a water pump will cost me?
For my 2003 1.9 TDI it was about £65-£70 exchange.

Crasher
15-12-2009, 12:13 AM
About £70 exchange from Audi.

har14
19-01-2010, 03:10 PM
went out thius morning to start defrost car and as car hadnt moved for couple days and temp been about minus 7. Anyways car started and ran bit rough for maybe 20 secs then just stopped. i tried for a couple of minutes to start then i popped bonnet and hoses and water reserviour solid with ice. What i think has happened is that ice stopped the water pump and the timing belt has moved. when i took of the belt cover i culd see that the belt teeth are fairly stripped down and would suggest that the belt has indeed moved off the timing. To what extent im not sure. belt is still on and has plenty tension. but car will turn over and not fire.
Im i lucky enough to not have damaged the valves with this perticular model of engine or am i indeed in trouble lol.
thanks for your help
I had the same problem and been quoted £800 just to remove head which is more than i paid for the car :zx11: