PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav

rwpgriffiths
08-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone
I am thinking about the pros and cons of the Eos Sat Nav v Tom Tom.

I understand, and may be wrong that a portable Sat Nav does not work in the Eos (roof up) because the heat reflecting windscreen prevents a signal getting through.

Is this true? And of those of you that have VW Sat Nav installed is it any good, especially in France and in countrified England?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.
Richard

EOSmage
08-05-2007, 05:22 PM
There are good and bad sides to both factory and aftermarket navigation systems. Being that Canadians don't have the option to buy Navigation from VW (it isn't available up north), I went with a Garmin Nuvi 660.

I'm very happy with it, and the windows don't cause any problems for me. If you mount the unit near the rear-view mirror, any special treatments are left off of this area. The black dots on the window help to "reduce" sun issues in that area. Signals have always locked quickly and without issue.

My only complaint is that the nuvi has wires hanging down to the 12v socket in order to get power-- I like to power it so that it is charge for any "walkabouts" that require guidance.

Being able to pop it off the window and move to another car or go for a guided walk is a fabulous advantage to the portable units. I just need to find a way to run the wires in a more "discrete" format.

EDIT: I should also point out that the cost to get the map updates is FAR less from Garmin than it is from VW. I'm sure this is just a quantity-of-sales thing. (far far far less, in fact)

I don't know what the Garmin is like in England, I've not visited there since getting it. However, since the maps are made by basically 2 companies, I'm sure that you will find the support to be the same from Garmin as it would be from VW, Tom Tom, or any other. Either the map has the area (and therefore all systems using the map have it) or it doesn't.

hitachizx
09-05-2007, 05:41 PM
My wife has the VW system in her Eos and i have the TomTom in my Passat. The VW system is the biggest waste of money i have ever spent. It is slow, difficult to program and only uses the first 4 digits of a post code. The TomTom is easy to program uses 6 digit post code search and has a much clearer screen, i used it recently to drive down to southern spain and then back up through france and did not have a single wrong turn, even when i went of the main route to tour around the Du Tarn Gorges. I would save yourself well over £1000 and buy the TomTom i will definatly not be specifying it when i order my replacement passat next month.

davidp
09-05-2007, 08:48 PM
I agree that the VW in car sat nav is a waste of money, especially if it only does 4 digit postcodes! You will never get the money back when you sell the car either.

My little Garmin 310 is a great piece of kit that sticks on the windscreen, will go for three hours or more on battery alone, has built in bluetooth, is a doddle to use and will be adorning the windscren of my new eos.

Cheers

rwpgriffiths
13-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree that the VW in car sat nav is a waste of money, especially if it only does 4 digit postcodes! You will never get the money back when you sell the car either.

My little Garmin 310 is a great piece of kit that sticks on the windscreen, will go for three hours or more on battery alone, has built in bluetooth, is a doddle to use and will be adorning the windscren of my new eos.

Cheers
David - if you can let me know how the portable sat nav works in the eos that would be great because I hear that they will not get a signal because of the heat reflecting windscreen.

Something about a signal block because of the screens properties.

I would prefer to order an in built sat nav than not do it and then discover that a Tom Tom [or thelike] won't work!
Thanks for your input - much appreciated.

hitachizx
13-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I have actually used my TomTom in my wifes Eos as the VW system for want of a better word is crap. No problems with the signal even when i put it in the armrest it still carried on talking. The other good thing about the TomTom over the VW system is the points of interest are a lot more detailed, there is next to nothing on the VW system.

guyg
13-05-2007, 01:21 PM
I bought TomTom6 for my PDA phone and think it's fantastic. The little receiver stays in my glovebox [unless I go walkabout] and there's no reception problems.

I live in Cornwwall and using the 'shortest route' function, I have discovered roard and shortcuts I hadn't known about despite having lived here for nearly 20 years! The detail on the maps is superb.

The other advantage with this solution is that it's portable, handy for trips to London [being a country bumpkin, I don't know my way round too well!].

It's also handy when I use hire cars or travel with Colleagues.

Cheers

Guy

davidp
13-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi Richard,

As the others have said there is no problem with the windscreen. Modern satnav units seem to get a fix on up the 12 sats very quickly. Havent tried putting mine in the glove box yet but suspect it may well work in there!;)

As someone has already said the power lead can be a bit annoying but my garmin nuvi 310 lasts over three hours on a full charge and you can carry it round with you. All the modern ones warn you of speed cameras as well which is handy. The 310 has bluetooth which works but unfortunately the sound quality is not as good as a headset.

Cheers, David

guyg
13-05-2007, 05:26 PM
the power lead can be a bit annoying

Definately - there's nothing worse than one of those cigar lighter extensions with thick curly wires everywhere...

There's quite a bit of room behind the dash on most cars; I've permanently plumbed in the powerlead for my PDA mount and likewise the charging lead for the receiver comes out in the glovebox along with my iPod connector, so all the wiring and bits are hidden.

Cheers

Guy

davidp
13-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Definately - there's nothing worse than one of those cigar lighter extensions with thick curly wires everywhere...

There's quite a bit of room behind the dash on most cars; I've permanently plumbed in the powerlead for my PDA mount and likewise the charging lead for the receiver comes out in the glovebox along with my iPod connector, so all the wiring and bits are hidden.

Cheers

Guy

Ooh thats sounds good Guy, be interested to know how you did that. Is the connection fused? did you take it from the fuse box or put an inline fuse. I havent got my eos yet but I understand there is a gap between the dash and the windscreen did you feed wires along that.
Cheers, David

guyg
13-05-2007, 05:50 PM
It is fused and connected to the accessory line that powers the stereo [so double fused]. I hate cutting wires, so I usually shave a bit of insulation off a small patch on one side of the wire and use a soldering iron to make a lap joint, but I realise not everyone's comfortable with doing this.

An alternative is to use a crimp piggyback connector available from any auto shop.

As all my gadgets are rechargeable via mini USB leads so, the power is only to maintain charge whilst driving. I actually bought some cheap chargers from flebay and canabalised them.

Since doing this, I realised it might have been neater to use a powered USB hub [maybe next time!].

I will try and post some pics - if I forget, PM me and I'll get them done...

Cheers

Guy

davidp
16-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks Guy for the information.
It would be good to see some pics when you get the chance.
Cheers, David