PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Window Regulator - is it an easy job ?

Paul Marsland
08-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Apologies for repetition of any prior threads... I couldn't find one that covered my exact questions.

I've got a Sharan 2.8 V6... used to have a Galaxy 2.3l Ghia. Had a horrible grinding noise from the front passenger window when closing it on Sunday, leaving the window half open.

I removed the door card yesterday to investigate the problem... turns out the cable in the regulator has been chewed up in the mechanism. The motor is fine - I've tried it having disconnected the regulator/cables. I've also wedged the window shut for the time being with wood.

How easy a job is it to replace the regulator ? I'm pretty inexperienced, but from what I can see it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Is it worth even thinking about replacing just the cables - looks very intricate and a challenge to get the right tension and cable length. I've had VWs quote me £42+VAT for just the regulator - is it worth searching anywhere else ? I've removed the regulator with the Torq screws, so hopefully it's just a straight replacement.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

Paul Marsland
14-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Well... it did turn out to be pretty easy. Got the part from VWs and took less than an hour to fit. My 8 yr old son is very happy with it all as he's now planning what he can make with the old broken regulator !:D