PDA

View Full Version : Checking for leaks

Big G
08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Does anyone have any idea how i can check the area underneath the battery for water and rubbish build up? I keep reading messages about the problems if the water leaks in and dont want it to happen to me but i dont want to put everything apart incase i break something.

Lex Luthor
08-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Examine the plenum using a torch if necessary and look for any water.
Test the drainage by pouring a pint of water in there and see that it runs out !

If it does not, the easiest drain to reach is under the brake servo.

Use a long screwdriver to probe the area and push it through the drain.
You cannot break anything doing this.

Big G
08-05-2007, 01:48 PM
cheers mate i'll give it a whirl tonight :biglaugh:

new to vw
08-05-2007, 02:54 PM
best way bud is to take battery out...remove the tray that the battery sit's on..(held in place with 1 bolt and 2 nuts) and then get rid of all the leave's mud and whatever else is in there..
cheers
lee:D

Big G
08-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks fellas for the advice. Can i assume then as long as this area underneath the battery is free of rubbish that it wont leak into the footwell and bugger all the electrics? The reason i ask is i have had one time the wipers (Automatic setting) would not work the the trip computer went crazy but the all reset after i stopped the car locked it then tried again. I just worrying about the footwell getting wet.

Lex Luthor
08-05-2007, 04:25 PM
If you want to remove the battery then you may find this useful :
http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/

new to vw
09-05-2007, 01:00 AM
look at the link that LEX has put up....it's spot on for advice
lee

Huweth
09-05-2007, 01:06 AM
By far the easiest way to make sure the plenum drains is to poke the grommet up from underneath. You don't have to remove the battery or anything, except maybe the black plastic engine cover if you are a big chap/lady. Follow the dirty mark left on the bulkhead by water running down it, you can feel the grommet with your finger. It pushes out easily and you can leave it loose in the plenum so you don't loose it. Thats what I did on my car, problem solved!