PDA

View Full Version : Question does anyone else think the Jetta is underrated?

KABKAT
11-12-2009, 10:31 PM
After a recent job change and loss of company car there was only one car I was ever going to consider as a replacement - the Jetta! I had had an 06 plate 1.9tdi s for 3yrs/90000miles and thoroughly enjoyed its comfort/dependability and ease of driving nature. A real workhorse and great family car.

I have had my new Jetta 1.6Tdi s for a month/1500 miles now and have to say that I am very impressed with its solid,refined and `easy to drive` feel I experience every time I get in it. The interior is functional and is as easy to use as the driving experience! Comfortable too. The new CR diesel is very refined/torquey and seems adequate in most situations. The boot is huge which definitely gives it the advantage for me personally over the hatch back i.e. Golf.

Does anyone else think that the poor old Jetta is underrated here in the UK compared with the American market where it is a coveted machine!!

Bluesmurff09
12-12-2009, 12:05 AM
I Have had my 09 Jetta CR 2.0TDI 140 Sport for 4 months and I paid 15k (20k new) for it at 2 months old with 900 miles on it it.

I had it remaped by the dealer to 185-190 bhp and it goes like stink when you need the power and coming from a Mini Cooper S it feels just as fast if not faster at times.

I like it as it's a wolf in sheeps clothing and its says classy without being as big as the passat but with just as much presance.

There not as common as the golf and a few people have asked me what it is and alot of others often think it's a passat.

It's the best car I've had and it's a very good, comfortable place to be as I do over 20k a year.

Mat

nc7503
12-12-2009, 09:39 AM
i think the jetta is well understated i brought a 1.9tdi 105ps 56plate in march this year from a main dealer with 31k n the clock for 7495.!!! i even got them to service it and get 4 new tyres on it before the hand over. i will admit that ive had a few niggles, egr valve leaking and the dreaded hooting sound when pressing the clutch in going up the gears.but this was cured by them replacing the centre box of the exhaust for one off a 2.0 tdi. this fault affects passats (1.9 tdi's) normally. all the the work covered under warranty so no cost to me and car was valeted each time i had it back. fuel economy is good managed 59.6mpg the other day on the motorway and that was driving at 75/80ish;)

SMEG
13-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi,
i have a Jetta 2.0 tdi Sport on a 58 plate and i am well pleased with it, i get asked what it is as you do not see many about.

I prefer the front on the Jetta compared to the Golf, and the LED rear lights and indicators look classy too.

I traded a 1.9 TDI Passat on a 53 plate for the Jetta and the Jetta is by far the better car for handling and power.

The only issue i have is the noisy engine at idle and the ignorent,rude,could'nt give a toss main dealers who despite years of statistics from customers showing how rubbish their performance is just carry on regardless.

mrobbo1969
13-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I certainly think the Jetta is under rated! I owned a 2007/07 plate 1.9 SE DSG and it was just so nice and relaxing to drive and the boot was huge. It was smooth and in mine and my wifeys opinion a better looking car than the golf and the DSG box was a dream. 3 sets of golf clubs were swallowed up in the boot quite easily as the boot is larger than the Passat.
The main VW dealer in Wigan was the only downside to owning this car as I had a bad experience when I took it in for its 20,000 mile service. I received a telephone call from them about an hour after dropping it off telling me the front and rear brake pads were 80% worn and it would cost me £200 for them to be replaced. I told them it was a job I would carry out myself so I bought the mintex pads from my local car spares shop (£50 for front and back) but when I took the pads off both front and back were hardly worn!!! They were only 30% worn in fact so I took this up with the dealer who claimed, it was only an estimate and if the technician had taken them off he would not have changed them. (I rekon a failed attempt at Bill Padding is the terminology)
I said I would never purchase another VW and just recently swapped my Jetta for a Skoda Octavia 2.0 VRS.

thegriffin
28-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Totally agree with all posts to this thread! Have just traded in an ageing B5 Passat 1.9 Tdi for Jetta with the same engine. Walked into dealers determined to buy another Passat. But new B6 is a big car and wasn't really suitable for my 'local driving'! Whislt cogitating about the size, happened to notice Jetta parked in the next bay with 07 plates and 18k on the clock. Remarkable spec - rear parking sensors, cruise control etc - better than the Passat! Dealer offered £10k and we did the business there and then! Very pleased indeed with the car! Slightly 'firmer' ride than the Passat due no doubt to low profile tyres etc but delighted with overall performance and sporty feel! Jetta must be one of VWs best kept secrets! :biglaugh:

Crasher
28-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Very underrated but I also find them confusing next to a Passat 3C. We were buying Mrs Crasher a new car at Leicester VW yesterday and another salesman took a call looking for a used Jetta 5, he asked the chap dealing with us if they had any and he said they only had one new and that used Jetta 5’s are thin on the ground.

KABKAT
01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I have even talked (or should I say after I had lent him mine to try for a weekend) my brother, a long term Volvo S40 purchaser to become "Jetta`d". He opted for the excellent 1.4Tsi on a 09 plate with 3000 miles for £11k. A steal when compared to £15995 for the same engined 58 plate Golf 6 on the same forecourt! I agree the ride is a little firmer but the overall build quality seems very high and this is consistent with colleagues at work who are realising the benefits of VWs best kept secret!!!

Mine is now at 4000 miles and really starting to run even better - the torque from this new engine (1.6 tdi CR) has taken me by surprise as it can shift especially on the Motorway (and with the risk of starting a very tedious forum debate about the merits or otherwise of the types of fuel to use in ones` ride) it definitely runs sweeter and quicker on Shell V-power.

jamiecorbett
30-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Tottaly under-stated.
Better kit than a golf equivalent, bigger boot, better looks ( a few people with VW's have said this)
I bought mine as i saw one parked next to me a few weeks ago.
Originally wanted a Passat (wife said was too big as she's the one using it more with the kids)
Looked at Golf Plus - ( slightly odd looking/dumpy)
Golf - too pricey 2nd hand
Jetta - A Lot more for your money, same engine, better ride, better spec,

Just got mine/ours today - love it.
2006 1.9 Tdi S

(traded my 2003 polo for a 2006 Piccasso last year - regreted it as soon as i walked away from the dealershit - bought My VW jetta today):biglaugh: