PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Failed

Chris1265
11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
2000 Fabia 1.4 16V

Can any body help with a power steering problem on my OH car.

On start up, light stayed on, zero power steering, stop engine and start again all was fine.

Checked fluid, a little low, so topped up, bled the system, a lot of bubbles but did not notice any drop in fluid level.

Started a few times, all seemed fine.

Next day, no light, OH did a couple of small trips, but then when starting engine, light came on, no steering, and would not go out.

After 20 minutes of AA man poking at it, steering came back, drove home.

Since then pretty much same, but currently totally dead.

Cleaned connectors, seemed to fix it but then went again.

Check data cable back to ECU, all have continuity.

Checked battery voltage, fine, charging voltage is about 14.4V, which seems fine to me but haynes manual says it must not go over 14V, is this right?

Fuse to pump looks fine.

Ground connection looks good.

I have tried disconnecting the sensor that is on the steering column.
While it was working, made no difference, just the light came on.
While it was not working, just made no difference.

Tried to download codes, none found but I only have a U281, and it does not mention power steering so don’t think it can talk to the steering pump, or should any coded be stored in the ECU?

Anybody know what voltages should be on the data cable?

What else can I check?

Please help, can’t afford to take to garage, and anyway, last time the quote was hundreds for a new throttle, where rude and abusive when I suggested maybe it was something else as this had been replaced 2 years earlier, turned out to be a broken wire.

Also don’t want to fit a new pump until 100% sure it is not something else as I can not afford to waist that sort of money.

Thanks in advance

Chris

zollaf
11-12-2009, 06:33 PM
all i can offer is that the fuse for it is above the battery, no3 which is 3rd from the left and is 50amp rating. i presume its a strip fuse, and these have a habit of cracking, so might be worth checking that. or, according to the thread above regarding the seat with a similar fault, it could be a slightly discharged battery?

chedisav
14-12-2009, 01:28 AM
hi,
just wondering how you geting on in solving this problem? I bought a 2001 fabia tdi few days ago with no power stering at all. so far I'v changed the angle sensor and the power steering pump/motor unit but, still solution. I'v checked the voltage on the main power supply wires going into the pum/motor unit and reading 14.5V when runing the engine. I was told I need to reset/clear alarms in the ECU in order to restore power steering. For this I would need the VAG - COM and the lead. Any help would be appreciated. Many thans.