PDA

View Full Version : driver side window not opening

checkmate
11-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi guys

all of sudden my driver side window wont open, all other windows are opening ok

I serviced my car few weeks ago. but i am sure it worked then, but not sure. Is their simple fix i can do or do i have to take it to garage?

I got Audi a4 54reg TDI a Auto

JohnyIre
11-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Is the electric mirror working? These issues are often due to the wire coming the body to the door. Well worth a look there.

checkmate
11-12-2009, 12:14 PM
will need to have look at the electri mirror. thanks

mikeybutch
11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Does it open on the key fob?If so could be the switch panel in the door and may need replacing.If not you could check the motor if you can take off the door panel and feed power direct to the motor easy if you have a spare battery and 2wires

Newt1
14-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Check the button by swapping it for another.

If its the window button you're laughing, cheap as chips. They come out just by prying a large screwdriver / panel remover underneath and gently coaxing them out.

If thats no difference try pressing up/down listen for any noises. You may hear a crunching sound like a crisp packet. If you do it means the wire for your window regulator has likely snapped. A common problem. Its a fairly easy DIY repair I did it in about an hour with no experience at all.

I did a write up of how to do it on a Cabriolet a while ago. £80 for the kit from Audi. You can get them slightly cheaper but to be honest you're better off buying the real deal then its a straight swap with no chew.

checkmate
02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
hi guys..sorry for delay in replying

the electric mirror is working

i have replaced the whole switch module and still the driver side window dont work...i have been told theirs a motor behind the door or something? and that may need replacing..but was quote around £270? is this true?

Newt1
02-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Yes, theres a motor inside the door behind the door card. Theres also the unit which is more commonly called the regulator.

When pressing the button put your eat to the door card and listen for noises from behind. A snapped regulator cable is very common. A new regulator will set you back £100 from Audi.

If thats gone, generally you'll hear crunching, like a crisp packet as the strands of wire get spun round.

Its unlikely the motor has gone but is a slight possibility. Either way, sounds like that door card is coming off. You'll need some hex screwdrivers.

checkmate
02-02-2010, 07:51 PM
when the garage changed the whole switch module, aka the 4 window switches and mirror knob, wouldnt the cables be tightened up if it was loose?

also i cant seem to hear any noises? i tried few times but no luck

Newt1
03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi,

The cable I refer to is a physical cable which spins around a sprocket and physically moves the window up and down. Not the electrical type you're probably thinking of.

I just thought of one way to test this...

When my regulator cable snapped I was able to push the window up and down by hand with very little pressure on the glass. Just try (without being too forceful), grabbing the glass at each side with the palms of your hands and exerting downward pressure to try to get the glass to slide downover.

It won't take much to slide the window down, probably as much force as maybe 2 bags of sugar would extert if your regulator cable has snapped.

If it doesnt budge then its likely a different problem.

(Try the cheapest options first ;-) )