PDA

View Full Version : Oil top ups and a hissing noise on 1.4 match 2001

Gillybean
10-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Noticed recently that the oil was low, really low below the marker, so topped up with 1 litre. It also seems to put out a lot of smoke these days so my thoughts were 'head gasket' on checking the oil cap it's nice and clean, no residue....

Then I noticed a 'hissing' noise as my daughter opened the door (the engine was running) from the front of the car. This was just a couple of times and it only does this intermittently.

2 weeks ago the ABS light came on coinciding with a failed headlight, that disappeared after the light was replaced.

I am becoming a bag of nerves each time I get in this car now.....

anyone any ideas other than get rid of it!!!

g40jon
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
when does the hissing sound happen? all the time, when reving, just as you turn the engine off.
my guess, and it is just a guess going on the noise you describe is that you have a vacuum leak, possibly the main hose that goes to the servo.

Gillybean
11-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I only noticed the hissing noise when the engine was idling and my daughter got out of the car, I haven't noticed it on driving. It doesn't happen all the time either...

Is the hose problem likely to cause problems or be serious if it is that?

g40jon
14-12-2009, 10:22 AM
well if the vacuum is leaking it will cause un-metered air to enter the intake. this will result in poor running, higher than normal fuel consumption and a slighty dodgy idle. it will hunt a bit, between 900-1200 rpm.
i would expect this to have anything to do with the headlight fault and i doubt it will have anything to do with the abs warning light.
the warning like normally comes on when the sensors on the brakes get dirty and become damaged. When I used to own a mk4 polo, i used to jet wash the brakes once a week to keep the sensors clean! worked most of the time, but it did still occosionally come on after driving on very dirty roads.
mk4s suffer with iffy wiring faults. the headlight is probably just down to a bad earth, faulty dash switch or corroded headlight plug.
I liked my mk4 so much, i went back to a mk3!