PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Nearly dead 2.0 petrol alhambra

johnspain
10-12-2009, 03:32 PM
My 2.0 petrol alhambra, 1998 lost power and stopped. When turning the key it does try and start (fires a little bit) and I get 5 beeps from behind the speedo and the oil light flashes 5 times. Once it did start and ran perfectly for a few minutes, I then turned it of and the same problem occurred. As I'm in Spain and the language is a problem I wondered if anybody had a clue as to the problem.

kenney
10-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Sounds like fueling problem,can you hear the fuel pump running when you switch the ignition on?

johnspain
10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
yes, I can hear a noise from the rear for a few secs when I switch the ignition on. I think that must be the fuel pump. Where is the pump please and I can double check.

kenney
10-12-2009, 05:38 PM
That would be the fuel pump you hear,it is in the tank,to check if it is delivering,you will need a fuel pressure gauge.It might be an idea to get a fault code reaf first.

johnspain
10-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I looked at the distributor and found the rotor arm was burnt out between the centre contact and the outer edge. I never noticed it at first. Will get a new one, hopefully tomorrow, and keep my fingers crossed. Still a bit confused about the 5 beeps from the dashboard.

johnspain
11-12-2009, 06:54 PM
It's going again! Changed the rotor arm and distributor cap but still dead. Changed the coil and all was well. Thanks for all the info - great forum.