PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy an A3

consumerway
09-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advise.

I drive a 52 Plate Golf mk4 GT TDI 150.

I'm looking at purchasing an new A3 Cabriolet.

I'd like to stick with a Diese, but the S line 2.0 TDI 6 Speed only outputs 140 brake. I didn't really want to go down in terms of spec from the Golf.

The S line 2.0 TFSI 6 Speed outputs 200bhp but you loose 20 miles a gallon! That's a lot when I'll be doing between 100 - 150 miles a day.

What would you do? Any advise, tips or anything else I should be worried about?

Cheers,

CS

kite
09-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Buy the diesel and map it....

consumerway
09-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I was thinking that (haven't done it on the Golf yet) - Whats the max bhp you can get from the 2.0 diesel?

The Golf I have goes from 150 - 190bhp.

Cheers,

CS

kite
09-12-2009, 10:43 AM
http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/

consumerway
09-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Cheers :)

CS

onemanparty
09-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Buy the diesel and map it....

I would agree or you could go for the 2.0tdi 170

MFGF
10-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I would agree or you could go for the 2.0tdi 170

Not available in the A3 Cabrio currently, though.

onemanparty
10-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Not available in the A3 Cabrio currently, though.

Good point - Saw the reference to VW Golf and should have checked more carefully :beerchug:

consumerway
11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for all the comments - anything else I should be aware of?

Cheers,

CS

tlionhart
11-12-2009, 11:36 AM
have you test driven one?

If this is your first cabriolet and you don't know much about the A3 cab;

-Check out the blind spot. (sitting in the drivers seat, looking over your left shoulder in a 45 degree direction there is a huge obstruction. Bit difficult when reversing out of certain car park spaces) May be annoying or tough if this is your first cabriolet. Don't be put of the car though, you'll get used to it. Reversing sensors help or the parallel park assist helps!

-boot space, surprisingly a lot of car buyers don't think too much about the boot. I tug around a lot of luggage. I went to the dealer with it to see if my AVG bags fit. Only BARELY!

I've only based this on my own experience of the car, to perhaps prompt you incase you didn't know. Overall it's a fab car.

In terms of speed with the car, its a shame they never released a S3 cabriolet! They did with the A5 cab. If I was doing a lot of motorway driving i would consider a TDI. Also engine capacity is underrated these days.
Does the BHP beat the BHP on your golf? Because you could go for the 1.8 and that may be slightly faster than your 2.0L golf. (soz if this sounds ignorant, but i don't know much bout the golf!)

consumerway
11-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Hi,

Test drive shortly.

I was looking at the S-line, but shame there was no sport version. I'm going to stick with diesel due to miles i need to do.

Thanks for the tips - any more always welcome.

CS

andre 2000
15-12-2009, 02:07 PM
I like diesels, I like convertibles, have had a few of both. I'm not sure I'd want both features in the same car though ; )

I've got a 2.0 TDI Sport - smokes like hell and very noisy - but not in a tuneful way....

I would hate to reverse through my own clouds of soot with the top down on a nice sunny morning, can't be good for the lungs!
If you do go for a remap make sure you get a decent one, not a cheap one that overfuels - that'll make the problem worse.
Make sure you get an extended test drive too - I do similar daily miles and I'm getting some back ache after an hour or so at the wheel [I think the suspension is too hard] I think your Golf may be more supple.

I'd be tempted to keep the Golf for the week and get a nice Caterham for the weekend.

Cheers

MFGF
15-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I've got a 2.0 TDI Sport - smokes like hell and very noisy - but not in a tuneful way....

I would hate to reverse through my own clouds of soot with the top down on a nice sunny morning, can't be good for the lungs!

Lol. I'm guessing you have the older 2.0TDi PD engine? The latest A3s are fitted with the new CR TDi engines with DPF, so smoke isn't a problem, and they are somewhat quieter too.

MF.

andre 2000
15-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Ah!

Yes, I have the older unit.

I guess I was diplomatically trying to say that if mine were convertible I don't think I would bother paying too much into a pension fund - I would be unlikely to need one!