PDA

View Full Version : Fabia paint very prone to Stone Chips?

DavidSWP
08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I've bought a 2003 Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi and didn't notice at the time (think it was raining) but the bonnet is absolutely peppered with stone chips - far more than I'd expect for the 93K mileage. There are also some bad chips on other parts of the car. Has someone been driving behind a gritter or are they just prone to chips?

The layers of paint seem odd too, it's a VW Ceyenne Orange metallic colour and I can see in the chips that the laquer is gone, the metallic paint is gone. Beneath the metallic there seems to be a grey layer (primer I assume) which is gone, and beneath that there seems to be another red layer of something or other! I would expect beneath the primer to be metal so am just wondering what is this red coat under the primer? I can see it on all the stone chips and none of them are bare metal.

Thanks,

Dave

zollaf
08-12-2009, 07:10 PM
i currently have a customers 2002 fabia in, with 13700 on the clock. this thing is hammered, never washed, driven into stuff etc. i am having to fit a new sump after they went far too fast down a dirt track. that gives you an idea of how it get abused. there are only 2 stonechips i can see on the bonnet, and beneath the yellow top coat is more yellow paint. looking at this car, i would say the paint is pretty indestructible. its not even damaged the paint on the wing where its been rammed into something. they have had it from new, and its never been painted anywhere. maybe yours has had a respray.

tjdixon
20-12-2009, 02:13 PM
My 05 Fabia has 110k on the clock and it has a few stone chips, not sure it has more than I'd expect for the age/mileage but they do tend to chip easily, is it a different type of paint to that used on older cars that makes it more prone to damage? I'm sure the chips on my older cars are never as bad....

rick f
26-05-2010, 09:34 PM
well..we got an 08 plate fabia on met red and its done 19k miles...its coverd with stone chips..I have seen cars with 100k that have faired better.
the car is still under warrenty and skoda uk have had a look and told us to get stuffed.
we wont be buying another skoda product (and the 2002 polo it replaced had coverd 55k and hardly a mark...)

I discoverd another problem yesterday too..the seam sealer between roof and roof pillers has started cracking!
I notice the metalic red we have on our fabia wasnt available for long..I wonder if they will admit to it being a problem? the fact its a nice colour and its discontinued speaks volumes!:mad: