PDA

View Full Version : Full Service History

topgazza
07-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Following on from jasears thread on his "lemon" purchase.

I have a 15 month old Passat Highline Estate. Just had the first "long life" service carried out by my local VW dealer. All OK except they didn't like my Blaupunkt DAB 54 in the car because they couldn't check the computer and rest the service. Fair enough..I knew that and removed the HU for them...poor dears...so they could do the reset.

Thing is, the service cost £234. My local independent VW garage, Grantleys in Basingstoke, does the same service for around £160...and resets the computer, checks for faults etc., and stamps the service book with their stamp. I know this doesn't affect my warranty and I would just take the car to the VW dealer for any warranty work but wondered how many buyers would actually care if a car was serviced on schedule by a proper independent garage ?

It wouldn't bother me when buying a car as I know that most independents are actually better than a main dealer ..IMO... and with the service receipts available when I buy second hand, sorry jasear, I would be more than happy to offer a fair price but is it general thought ?

jasear
07-05-2007, 07:48 PM
To be honest , from my own experience, dealers and independant garages alike willl rip you off.

Now this is not really about a VW Passat but in one of my previous cars (renault) the heater blower gave up. I got a quote for a diagnostic from an independant dealer it was something around £30.

I got a quote from an independant garage and they wanted to charge me almost £60 for telling me what was wrong. Normally with the dealers if you get the work done by them they refund you the diagnostic charge this indy wanted to charge me on top of that for the work. Eventually, I got hold of the part myself and took me about an hour to fit it. Cost me £50. The dealers wanted to charge me something like £300 and the indy quoted me more or less the same but for a non genuine part.

Maybe im just prone to bumping into conmen. :zx11: Seriously, though I think having a full VW service history will generally fetch you more for the car in most cases. Its not really the fact that it was serviced by VW that fetches the higher price but in my opinion it just shows that the owner has not been looking to take short cuts in maintaining the car.

gramey
07-05-2007, 07:51 PM
All depends if I'm buying locally and I know the independent in question as reputable I'll pay a fair price. In the past when I've travelled a fair distance to buy a car it's been through a main dealer where I can view the service history on their computer if need be.
I wouldn't travel a shed load of miles and accept a load of stamps from an unknown independent. Even with receipts you don't want to be making a 200 mile round trip to try and get it sorted if something they've done fails.

new to vw
08-05-2007, 08:14 AM
i only use one garage and it is 130 miles from where i live.....i use him for peice of mind and i know i dont get ripped off by him....:D

dilly
03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
topgazza, have you used Grantleys in Basingstoke yet? Were you happy with their price/service? I ask as I need to have the 80,000 mile service and my VW dealer is quoting £380.

Thanks

Following on from jasears thread on his "lemon" purchase.

I have a 15 month old Passat Highline Estate. Just had the first "long life" service carried out by my local VW dealer. All OK except they didn't like my Blaupunkt DAB 54 in the car because they couldn't check the computer and rest the service. Fair enough..I knew that and removed the HU for them...poor dears...so they could do the reset.

Thing is, the service cost £234. My local independent VW garage, Grantleys in Basingstoke, does the same service for around £160...and resets the computer, checks for faults etc., and stamps the service book with their stamp. I know this doesn't affect my warranty and I would just take the car to the VW dealer for any warranty work but wondered how many buyers would actually care if a car was serviced on schedule by a proper independent garage ?

It wouldn't bother me when buying a car as I know that most independents are actually better than a main dealer ..IMO... and with the service receipts available when I buy second hand, sorry jasear, I would be more than happy to offer a fair price but is it general thought ?

topgazza
03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I've been using them for years and never had a problem with them, they're good guys and never rip you off. You should be able to save yourself a few bob with out any doubt. Not used Grantleys for a year, latest Passat came with first years dealer service paid for, but about to do so.

dilly
03-07-2007, 05:37 PM
I've been using them for years and never had a problem with them, they're good guys and never rip you off. You should be able to save yourself a few bob with out any doubt. Not used Grantleys for a year, latest Passat came with first years dealer service paid for, but about to do so.

if you don't mind, please pm my your name. I'll call them and say you recommended them to me. Thanks