PDA

View Full Version : VW Roof Aerial/Antenna Base Removal

TDi_B5
07-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I have the standard beesting aerial on my passat b5 and I want to replace the base part as the seal around it has perished. I'm assuming the interior roof lining and quite a few other bits of trim must be removed to get to it.

Just wondering if anyone has done this?? Ceiling lining is notoriously difficult to remove and I don't want to be left with saggy bits of mis-fitting trim! I have the replacement base and its only held in by one fairly large nut, its just getting to that nut!!

Any thoughts...? :beerchug:

topgazza
07-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Yup...

Replaced my VW aerial with a DAB/FM/MW combi aerial a few months back.

Not sure if this is the "standard" process but I removed the plastic cover at the very back of the car roof and the side pillar covers and I could reach the base of the aerial without disturbing the edges of the lining. It was a bit fiddly if I remember as they clip in place but not that bad.

Oh, that was an estate so its a bit easier than a saloon

exaisle
27-07-2007, 10:57 PM
I just replaced the antenna base. Firstly...be careful if youre buying a non-OEM unit and make sure that it does not have a seperate dc cable, ie. it should only have one (coaxial) cable entering the unit.

On the passat saloon, pull the panels covering the rear pillars away, then carefully remove the rubber door seals on both sides, and the over-door handles. This will allow sufficient access for those of us who arent blessed with surgeons' hands to access the retaining nut (24mm) and cable without damaging the roof lining.

Hope this helps!

D.

exaisle
02-08-2007, 05:57 PM
That last post should read "22mm" not 24...although a 24mm spanner will just about catch enough of the nut to loosen it ;-)

I couldnt find a non-OEM base (all of them had seperate dc connections) so i ended up acquiring one in the local breakers yard for a fiver. :-)

D.

snapdragon
02-08-2007, 08:55 PM
If it's not a VW one, it may not work, I bought a VW China one, it fitted fine in every way but the signal was rubbish, had to shell out more for the proper one which worked fine.