PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Tray Section Under Engine

the_unrepentant
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi guys
I was driving down the M3 this morning only to be greeted with terrible sound from under the car. I pulled over to find that under the engine is a plastic cover that had come loose and was flapping around and dragging on the road. I had to physically just pull the entire thing off to continue my journey, but can anyone here tell me what this plastic tray thing under the engine is officially called? I might see if I can get a second hand one as i heard they are not cheap...

Thanks
Rich

kite
07-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Not sure on the official name is, but I would call it the under tray....

the_unrepentant
07-12-2009, 06:15 PM
I guess thats better than my description of "plastic tray thingy under the engine!"

lcnar01
07-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi guys
I was driving down the M3 this morning only to be greeted with terrible sound from under the car. I pulled over to find that under the engine is a plastic cover that had come loose and was flapping around and dragging on the road. I had to physically just pull the entire thing off to continue my journey, but can anyone here tell me what this plastic tray thing under the engine is officially called? I might see if I can get a second hand one as i heard they are not cheap...

Thanks
Rich

Just had a similar experience with my Passat! The tray is apparently to keep the engine clean, provide sound deadening and help with aerodynamics. I decided to fit new and the total cost of parts at my local VW dealer was £255!
I needed both trays ( It comes in two sections ) but you may just need one.
Hope this helps.

Neil.

the_unrepentant
07-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Just had a similar experience with my Passat! The tray is apparently to keep the engine clean, provide sound deadening and help with aerodynamics. I decided to fit new and the total cost of parts at my local VW dealer was £255!
I needed both trays ( It comes in two sections ) but you may just need one.
Hope this helps.

Neil.

Bloody hell! £255 for a bit of plastic! I'll be looking on eBay I think! I would still love to know what the part is actually called if anyone knows and if they are all the same on the Passat model range. (ie, fitting and part sections)

lcnar01
07-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Bloody hell! £255 for a bit of plastic! I'll be looking on eBay I think! I would still love to know what the part is actually called if anyone knows and if they are all the same on the Passat model range. (ie, fitting and part sections)

For my 98 TDI the front part was called "Dampingpan" part no 8D0863821Q, and cost £105.90 inc vat. : the rear section under the gearbox was called "Sound Deadener" part no 8D0863822, and cost £139.38 inc vat. I also ordered some new fixings which brought the price to £255. (Some new fixings actually come already fixed to the trays)
Most people know these items as "Engine Undertrays"
I don't know how many different versions there are.

Neil.

the_unrepentant
07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
For my 98 TDI the front part was called "Dampingpan" part no 8D0863821Q, and cost £105.90 inc vat. : the rear section under the gearbox was called "Sound Deadener" part no 8D0863822, and cost £139.38 inc vat. I also ordered some new fixings which brought the price to £255. (Some new fixings actually come already fixed to the trays)
Most people know these items as "Engine Undertrays"
I don't know how many different versions there are.

Neil.

Thanks for the info, I'll do some digging around and see what I come up with...

limecc
07-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Here's the link to the 'sound deadener' parts and fixtures in the online catalogue:
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/PASY/2003/404/56/3961898/

If you want to see the diagrams you have to register which is free.

Tom.B
07-12-2009, 11:14 PM
I know that dragging sound.... my undertray turned mine into a possible world first; a Passat snow plow! So much compacted snow was sandwiched between engine/gearbox and undertray that I couldn't even manage to get a decent enough hold to rip it off so good old Green Flag were called and craned the 'Sat up and ripped it off. Great, instantly fixed but they ripped off all the brackets, all the fitings, everything!!! Was gutted to find out my mpg dropped and that the car is deffinately noisier! If you can find a reasonably priced replacement please let me know where from, £200+ is daft money.

Ta!

garnier
08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Crazy money. My mechanic insists on removing these covers and putting them in the bin everytime he does jobs on my cars. I've had maybe 10 cars in the past 10 years and he's always removed (and disposed of) the under tray. He says they do no good what so ever, and the cars I've had have suffered no problems due to the under tray being removed.

I can trust no-one more than him when it comes to cars, he's got 40 years experience, does the whole family's cars and always does a proper job. Probably not everyone will agree, but I'd say lose the under tray and don't worry about it, you don't need it.

creedxup
08-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Crazy money. My mechanic insists on removing these covers and putting them in the bin everytime he does jobs on my cars. I've had maybe 10 cars in the past 10 years and he's always removed (and disposed of) the under tray. He says they do no good what so ever, and the cars I've had have suffered no problems due to the under tray being removed.

I can trust no-one more than him when it comes to cars, he's got 40 years experience, does the whole family's cars and always does a proper job. Probably not everyone will agree, but I'd say lose the under tray and don't worry about it, you don't need it.

I don't think I'd want my mechanic throwing away bits of my car, especially ones that cost over £200 to replace.

They must provide some aerodynamic (and fuel saving) benefits.

Sam
08-12-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13300

Don't pay anything over the odds without having a read of the above

Tom.B
08-12-2009, 11:58 PM

If he's bining a B5.5 undertray and brackets, give me a shout!

I am sure I noticed a dip in mpg and an increase in noise, especially on the motorway. I'm of the opinion that they put it there for a reason other than simply to keep the underside clean(ish).

The price is quite frankly ridiculous!

Tom.B
09-12-2009, 12:10 AM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13300

Don't pay anything over the odds without having a read of the above

Nice one! The prices quoted for the W8 tray, do you know if they include the fitting brackets or is it simply the undertray?

snapdragon
09-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Be aware that when I checked the W8 tray prices is June/July 2009, they had rocketed from those quoted, unless I was having my leg pulled.:zx11:

Sam
09-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice one! The prices quoted for the W8 tray, do you know if they include the fitting brackets or is it simply the undertray?

I purchased all the part numbers mentioned in that thread and got a full kit.

The tray came with the rear metal bracket attached and a few dzus fasteners but nothing more.

Might be wise to check the current prices as snapdragon says though. Seems VW finally got wise :(

Inspector Beetle
09-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I know the tray is a bit of a pain when you want to do things like the oil filter, but it does keep the engine clean and cuts the noise. If I had a mechanic that binned the trays I would bin him!!:beerchug: