PDA

View Full Version : steering wobble caused by cv joint ??

maf
05-12-2009, 05:15 PM
my y reg 130 sport [148k]has very bad steering wobble like a badly egged tyre but intermitentlly and steering feels vague on full lock have jacked it up and only thing i could see was a split in 2 cv boot a very dry joint with a small amount of play on shaft in and out of said joint Joint and boot will obviously replaced question is would this cause above symptoms ? help!!!! forgot to say its the outer cv joint and occasional clonk

martin1810
05-12-2009, 05:56 PM
The CV joint shouldn't effect the steering.. Did you try holding the road wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock and giving it a good push and pull. That usually shows up any play in the steering track rod ends, steering rods or rack.

maf
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
there didnt seem to be any play in the ball joints,track rods or rack my thoughts were it may be the bearings in the cv joint jumping out ,clonking back in causing the egged tyre type wobble to s/wheel

martin1810
05-12-2009, 08:37 PM
If it was doing that it would sound like a machine gun.

maf
07-12-2009, 06:07 PM
If it was doing that it would sound like a machine gun.

replaced cv joint and has cured the problem it was shot to bits up until the steering wobble/clonking there was no indication it had gone [no clicking on full lock etc]