PDA

View Full Version : Very light steering gt tdi ?

Homerduffbeer
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Hello everyone I have just got my new golf gt tdi it's a 1999 , but for some reason the steering is very light and handles sh*t ! It's lowered 40mm on koni springs with 18" r32 replica alloys with talon triangle tyres budget but are like new with only a couple thousand miles on them . I have had the tracking done and the tyre pressure is good but it has made no difference ?

I think the tyres might have something to do with the grip as they are budget tyres but I can't understand why it would have light steering ? Would a upper/lower strut brace help the light steering ?

Any help would be great ?

paint pot
05-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Try getting the camber angle checked on the front. Positve camber would give you light steering. Geometry may of altered when the car was lowered

Crasher
05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
When the Golf 4 is lowered, they go negative, sounds like cheap and nasty Chinese tyre syndrome to me, I am seeing this more and more all the time. Why do people buy Chinese tyres? It is the only bit of contact between you and eternity, buy decent rubber…

Homerduffbeer
06-12-2009, 01:02 AM
When the Golf 4 is lowered, they go negative, sounds like cheap and nasty Chinese tyre syndrome to me, I am seeing this more and more all the time. Why do people buy Chinese tyres? It is the only bit of contact between you and eternity, buy decent rubber…

So your saying it's not the postive chamber it's the sh*t tyres I have ? The tyres came with the wheels but I am looking to change soon and u recommend ?

STEWY L
06-12-2009, 02:48 AM
So your saying it's not the postive chamber it's the sh*t tyres I have ? The tyres came with the wheels but I am looking to change soon and u recommend ?
better ones;)
p6000, mich's etc. etc.
it's not rocket science,
best regards,
stewy.:beerchug:

Crasher
06-12-2009, 03:37 PM
If you have positive camber, something is very badly bent, I have never seen a Golf 4 platform exhibit positive camber except after sliding into a curb and bending the hub, in fact the problem is that they always go too negative and getting some positive correction back is a problem. You should not guess though, have the alignment checked to see what it is and report back.

Homerduffbeer
06-12-2009, 05:27 PM
If you have positive camber, something is very badly bent, I have never seen a Golf 4 platform exhibit positive camber except after sliding into a curb and bending the hub, in fact the problem is that they always go too negative and getting some positive correction back is a problem. You should not guess though, have the alignment checked to see what it is and report back.

Is tracking the same as having the alignment done ? Sorry for being thick

Crasher
06-12-2009, 08:56 PM
There are four factors to front wheel alignment, camber (spec -33′ ± 30′), total toe (spec 0° ± 10′), toe out on turns (spec -1° 31′ ± 20) and caster (spec +7° 50′ ± 30′, max. 30′ difference between sides) which is not adjustable. First of all the camber is checked and if this is correct, then the total toe is checked and adjusted. There is a small amount of camber adjustment available by shifting the subframe and if it is absolutely necessary, pushing in the ball joints but strictly speaking this is not allowed.