PDA

View Full Version : Golf 1.8GL Starting problem

rulleyman
05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Golf wont start. Dash info lights flicker. Click on key turn. No engine turn over. Lights and equip show battery OK. Is this perhaps an earthing or a starter problem? Any ideas. Car is 1996 with 65K. Stuck at home.

brianf
08-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Golf wont start. Dash info lights flicker. Click on key turn. No engine turn over. Lights and equip show battery OK. Is this perhaps an earthing or a starter problem? Any ideas. Car is 1996 with 65K. Stuck at home.

Could well be an earthing problem or a starter problem. If the lights don't go out when you turn and hold the starter key, then the battery probably is OK. The only earth point likely to cause this is the engine earth strap and that should be reasonably easy to check for a tight/clean contact. The starter motor could be more difficult to check out, particularly if you don't have a voltmeter or a 12volt test lamp. You can again check the main terminal for a good/clean contact but beyond that it is a matter or elimination.

rulleyman
08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks Brian - AA got me going with a free homestart. I'd din't ahve that level of cover so was well impressed. The engineer was young but clued up. The problem was the battery which had 12V static but only 3 v cranking which apparently gives the flickering and buzzing instrument panel when the key is turned. It certainly had me foxed. New battery was fitted from van at £59 (probably not the cheapest but as a total cost and no towing to garage I was happy). CAR STARTS AND RUNS FINE.

I like this 10 year old motor. Also have 52 1.4S Golf with A/C which I ordered and bought in France (UK spec) and a 79 Beetle cabriolet which I bought in 1990 in San Jose California.:Blush:

brianf
08-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Pleased to hear you got it sorted.