PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like CV joint knock

conroyn
03-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Here's an interesting one for you guys, I have a 3 week old CC 2.0TDI 170 GT Manual, Silver Leaf, Truffle Leather, Parallel Park Assist + Rear camera, Dynaudio, heated windscreen, folding mirrors & adaptive xenons. All the fun stuff is absolutely fantastic, I've traded up from an A3 2.0 TDI 170 DSG S-line and the CC is a much nicer car.

The problem is that having only travelled 450 miles in it's life it has developed a knock fron the offside front when pulling out of junctions to the right. The RAC have been out to have a look and say it sounds like a driveshaft/CV joint knocking. :confused:

It's going into Mann Egerton in Swindon tomorrow for them to have a fiddle with it, I'm hoping it's nothing serious. I will report back with their findings.

It's a sound I've heard before, but not since I've moved on from £200 wrecks.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with any model Passat?

Cheers, Neil

gamichea
03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Been some reports of stuff like this stateside. See the CC forum on vwvortex.com . Culprits there have included subframe bolts and swaybar (think that's anti-roll bar :rolleyes:) mounts IIRR.

eob
09-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I have started to experience the same.
This noise, noticable when pulling out of the drive, appeared at the same time as I started carrying my golf clubs again in the boot, so I had put it down to them.
I'm not too worried though, CV joint or anti roll bar problems should be covered under warranty in a 4 month old car shouldn't they?

conroyn
25-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi guys, I have an update, there is apparently a known issue on UK CC's there is a design 'feature' on the offside driveshaft which Volkswagen are working on, if your CC suffers from this knocking noise your dealer should be able to add your car to the waiting list for the modified driveshafts when they become available.

I would imagine there will be a recall on a fair number of CC's in the new year.

mark381
02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
I think my vehicle may have the same symptoms. CC GT170 TDI. Noticed a noise when turning right pulling out of a junction at first thought it was something loose in the boot, seems to die away as the wheel is straightened. Guess a visit to the dealer is in order.

johnloaderuk
02-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Although this affects a relatively small amount of cars maybe it's related somehow. Follow the link:

http://www.autospies.com/news/2009-Vw-Passat-CC-recalled-due-to-a-steering-problem-37362/

ibbotsonf
12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Started to experience the same with my 4 week old CC 170 TDI. Doesn't happen all the time and I was wondering if it was something in the boot - having looked over this thread I'll be getting in touch with the garage.

mikecc
08-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Like several of the above, new CC 170TDi with a noise when turning right. Frustrating as its only a week old having waiting 5 months delivery.

eob
09-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I just completed a 400 mile round trip from Glasgow to Elgin and I can confirm that the noise is getting worse and can also rule out my golf clubs which I removed.

I'm going to book the car in (for this, the gritty clutch pedal and the griding 2nd gear) and will report back their findings.

ibbotsonf
10-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Took my month old 170 to the dealer with the knocking problem and left a print out of this thread with them. They said the problem is the drive shafts have put replacement shafts on order. They tell me they are due in at the end of February.

mark381
10-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I had mine sorted approx two weeks ago, it is a known issue by VW and uprated driveshafts have been made, unfortunately mine had to be done twice as after the first go it still made the noise, after the second go it still made the noise when the dealers mechanics tested it, then (so I am told) they checked the gearbox alignment/ subframe which was slightly out, realigned it and problem solved http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif, the car is lovely and quiet now. So I would recommend anyone with the issue make their way to the dealer.

eob
01-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Another one for new driveshafts (both sides).
On back order with Ingram VW Ayr, so should be fitted in about two weeks.

If you are experiencing this same problem, definetly print out and take this thread - saves explaining things too much!
:fing02:

Arthercrow
03-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Mine went in to Mann Egerton Swindon for CV inspection, they have said they will replace both drive shafts when they get them as on back order, it also went in for the radio locking up, they say they will replace this as well, I thought they would merely update firmware but we will wait and see.

odessa
09-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Holy thread resurrection Batman !

I just had the very same issue with my 10 plate CC 170. Took the dealer nearly 2 weeks to eventually get round to replacing both drive shafts ( and cv joints along the way ) but it has cured the fault ... which was identical to the ones mentioned here .... thanks :)