PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had issues with Air Intake Flaps / Throttle valve?

Q7_Nick
02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I have a 56 Reg 3.0TDi Q7.

Recently the Yellow Light came on, I took her in to Audi and it has been diagnosed as Fault on the Air Intake Flaps / Throttle valve. My car has 70k on the clock and is only 10 weeks out of the three year warranty!

My Audi dealer is trying to get some good will on payment but because I purchased privately, they are telling to fear the worse! That means a £1400 bill...

Anyone help? Could the fault be solved simply by cleaning and re-fitting or is replacement the only answer?

Crasher
02-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Which engine code? Did they give you the fault code number?

Q7_Nick
02-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Would it be GVJ LZ5E?

a8 tech
02-12-2009, 10:17 PM
The manifold tumblers fail which means the manifold's plus the the motors are required.This is very common and the new manifold comes complete with intake manifold motor, its usually the left bank which is affected

Q7_Nick
02-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Did not get a fault code from them.

The engine is the V6171KW, if that helps.

The car was surging a little especially when cold, but that was the only symptoms...

Crasher
02-12-2009, 10:22 PM
A8 has beaten me to it...again!

a8 tech
02-12-2009, 10:25 PM
I have answered your question in full and don't need the fault code,your engine code will most likely be BUG.
The manifold tumblers wear and create a greater operating angle for the throttle body so it feeds back out of tolerance to the ecu hence no adjustment can be accurately carried out for the manifold via the engine ecu.

a8 tech
02-12-2009, 10:26 PM
A8 has beaten me to it...again!

Got to keep you on your toes Crasher :biglaugh:

Q7_Nick
02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Many Thanks to you both for your comments...

When you say ' its a common fault ', could you quantify that, it may help me to know how common this fault is when we come to arguing who foots the bill.

Also, have Audi revised the design since 2006? if they have, then maybe that implies they know about this fault and cars should have been recalled...

Does anyone know of any other 'just out of warranty cars' receiving any goodwill payments from Audi uk..?

Its such a shame, I love the car to bits, just want it back on my driveway...

Q7_Nick
02-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Oh and yes the engine code is 'BUG', you're very good at this....

a8 tech
02-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Sorry Nick cant help you there but goodwill is based on full history and as the dealer also contributes then dealer loyalty comes into play.As the manifold is a moving part then its wear and tear and no workshop action required.

Your vehicle is 10,000 miles and 10 weeks beyond the warranty criterion

As always extended warranty packages are available to cover these items but as Audi have supported the warranty for a 3 year 60,000 mile or 2 years 100,000 mile period then its simply hard luck and the owner responsibility to ensure sufficient funds or sufficient cover.

Q7_Nick
02-12-2009, 11:58 PM
A8, Thanks once more for your comments, deep down I know what you are saying is right, but fingers crossed Audi may come good..?

Are you aware of any revised designs on later models?

As you can see, I'm clutching at straws...

allroadkev
06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
when you say common problem am I to expect this, as I am just about to buy a 56 plate 3.0 sline.

Is it epected after a certain amount of mileage?

Q7_Nick
07-03-2010, 02:06 AM
I have the failed parts and looking at them I'd say this is a ticking timebomb on these cars. I sold the car purely based on this reason, and the fact Audi dealers are too arrogant to help. I would not own an Audi outside of warranty again.
Another common issue is leaking oil cooler pipes, mine decided to start ******* oil out the day the buyer came to view, so that cost me another £400.
In one year my repair bills were over £2300.
If you are thinking on buying one, firstly they are fantatic cars but expect fantastic costs and get it under warranty if you want to sleep at night...