PDA

View Full Version : exhaust smoke

Richie
06-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi All
as this is my first visit to the site and and not very good with a computer you will have to bare with me, too the point, I have a "W" 2000 Octavia 1.9Tdi and i have noticed what look's like a large amount off exhaust smoke,i do not see any smoke during the day but i do notice the smoke when i accelarate and i am driving at night and head-lights are shining in my rear view mirror or is this normal? Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks
Richie :mad:

SONICtheONE
06-05-2007, 10:42 PM
All Diesels produce smoke/exhaust heat day and night, It's normally clear so is not seen during the day unless it from behind eg. in another car, This smoke is normally produced more under heavy acceleration and under load. It is more noticed at night. The Rear view mirror should be set up with the bottom lever on the mirror forward, and if you then get dazzled you can temporary push it forward, which then allows you to see, and shines the light down. Hopes this helps, Alan.

mukesh maheshwa
10-07-2007, 10:00 AM
check the air filter for chocking and the EGR system specifically for vacuum leaks. The exhaust could be disconnected from the centre joint and blown clean (use a dust bag on the exhaust end to avoid soot flying all around);)