PDA

View Full Version : Parking Sensors

AndrewT
05-02-2006, 05:54 PM
I have a new Passat with Keyless Entry probs (see other thread).

Parking sensors now seem to have gone haywire. Has anyone else experienced problems?

Great car but seems to suffer from irritating problems with "extras"

JBlues
06-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Hello again!

Yes I have had problems with parking sensors. The supplying dealer has had the car in four times now and the parking sensors are one of two outstanding problems.

Basically the seemed to be giving faulty readings. In particular they would give a solid tone as if you were about to hit something and there would be nothing in site! Someone else suggesed that this might be due to steam from the exhaust being picked up as an example. This would not explain why the front ones sometimes 'stay on'. The dealer has replaced one rear sensor because they said if was showing a faulty reading but the problem was not fixed. Strangley enough things have really settled down in the last few weeks and I almost trusting them again! My dealer has apparently raised this with a team at VW UK who look into such mysteries because they have exhausted their own efforts and there are known problems with sensors and folding wing mirrors, this being my other problem!

JFL
19-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Thank goodness it's not just me!

Mine has been in for 'repair' for this fault about 6 times; 2 sensors and the sensor control unit replaced and it is still tripping out.

What I have noticed is that it only happens in wet weather and when you accelerate or brake - this makes me think water seeps in somewhere and when moved it shorts something out. Fed up with my local garage who don't have a clue. Will be putting this one to VW Customer Services soon.

JBlues
20-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Mine was in again on Friday for a few things one of which was the parking sensors playing up. They could not find a fault and suggest that I take it in straight away when the problem occurs.

Are you getting the same same problem i.e. that the sensors give a solid tone at either at the fron or rear when they are activated by engaging revers gear?

JFL
20-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Only ever the front. And to start with only in wet weather or after washing the car, though eventually it was all the time.

Does yours happen all the time or in the wet?

I thing there is an easy route in for water into the sensors and their wiring and initially this shorts. Eventually I think it is rotting some electronics somewhere (hence I've had 2 replacment sensors).

My theory anyway.

I've now gone to VW Customer Help direct and hopefully my local outfit will take it seriously now...

JBlues
21-03-2006, 11:39 AM
To be honest I have not really noticed any pattern as such.

Keep us posted on how you get on with VW Customer Services!

JBlues
13-04-2006, 12:25 PM
My car is back in again for the parking sensors to be tested as they keep giving faulty readings, i.e. giving a continuous tone when nothing is near. I have noticed now that this does seem to follow a period of rain.

A different gargage has got it this time so we will see if they can sort it out. My guess is that it is going to be one of those things that I have to live with until enough people jump up and down about it.

blackie
14-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Don't hold your breath with VW Customer Services. The experience I've had so far with them (faulty heated seat, keyless entry and parking brake) shows that they don't have much more technical knowledge than the local dealer. When asking them when I would get a fix to my broken heated seat (from new), they just kept telling me to be patient as they're waiting on a fix from VW Germany. I've been waiting 6 months now and they've just fixed it. And guess what? The weather's getting warmer!

If they don't have the answer, they also seem loathe to escalte to VW Germany, just saying that they 'don't work very quickly'! Reassuring...

jaywak
26-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Got my 02 A6 recently as a private purchase, and now find that the parking sensors are playing up similar to above i.e. engage reverse, get 'bip,bip,bip' and then solid 'beeep' whilst reversing AND also while driving off until disabled by speed of the car!! Anything I can do myself? Is this a DIY job to take out and inspect the sensors/wiring etc or do I have to take it in to the garage?

Thanks

JW

Flash2
31-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Thank goodness it's not just me!

Mine has been in for 'repair' for this fault about 6 times; 2 sensors and the sensor control unit replaced and it is still tripping out.

What I have noticed is that it only happens in wet weather and when you accelerate or brake - this makes me think water seeps in somewhere and when moved it shorts something out. Fed up with my local garage who don't have a clue. Will be putting this one to VW Customer Services soon.

Sorry to hear about the problems your all having with your parking sensors. Your dealers are obviously not making good use of the resources that VW have put in place for them, or most of these problems would be fixed within two visits to the garage (1 to diagnose / 1 to repair).

When you book your car in at the VW dealer to have a fault diagnosed, the service receptionist has to fill in details of the fault in a special computer program supplied by VW. The computer checks if there are any known issues relating to the problem and highlights the technical solution which details how to diagnose and repair the fault. I'm sure the system isn't perfect and not every fault will have a known solution, but that isn't the case with this particular fault. And it only happening in wet weather is a clue to the problem!

You can read up on how the system is supposed to work here :
http://www.autoworld.co.za/autonews/viewarticle.asp?id=871