PDA

View Full Version : Question Dipsticks

Dads taxi
01-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Does anyone else find it impossible to read the oil level on a diesel engine dipstick?

It is not realistic for VW to expect that we can read the oil level of black engine oil on a black dipstick!

Does anyone know if all metal or the old style orange tipped dipsticks are available and if so the part number?

Many thanks

bach2work
08-12-2009, 09:40 PM
2009 models have a grey plastic end which makes the level readable.

Philip

Crasher
08-12-2009, 09:47 PM
I find a lot of VAG dipsticks extremely difficult to read, black dip sticks on a Diesel engine are particularly difficult.

Frelon
10-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Well said, Dads taxi.

We all check our oil (or should do) but rarely give a thought as to how difficult it is to see where the level is. I wipe the (black) dipstick until it is bone dry, and even after this it is still difficult.

Seems that VW are concentrating on putting more bells and whistles into their cars, so that they can charge more money than focussing on something simple which would make our lives easier and cost them nothing - like white plastic tips to the dipsticks!!:zx11:

Crasher
10-12-2009, 04:56 PM
How about no dipsticks on the latest cars like an 08 A4 I did today.

genix
10-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree, it's almost impossible to read...

How about no dipsticks on the latest cars like an 08 A4 I did today.

All electronic then?

(I suppose it was just about time to get rid of the old-fashioned 'dipstick'... :approve:
one job less for the modern driver... :Blush:)

Crasher
10-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Yes they are electronic but you can buy a workshop dip stick for around £80, we get ours from the local trainee centre for less and call them mechanics…:D