PDA

View Full Version : Golf mk4 TDI engine temp sensor

valley rower
06-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi,
I've got a 2002 Golf 1.9 tdi pd, the engine temp gauge on the dash does not work, or when it does it can rise and fall quite quickly.
From reading various other foums it sounds like it is the sensor on the engine.
Would this be true, if so any idea where it is located, as it seems a fairly easy part to replace. Also where can I get a new one from other than VW.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

valley rower
06-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I've managed to find the sensor but cannot remove the connecting block without removing the whole sensor.
Does anyone have an idea of how much coolant will leak out during this process?
Also are all green D shaped sensors the same? Where can i get one from fairly cheaply?

Cheers

SGN
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
If you are talking about the water temp sensor which is fitted in the back of a water hose ,you should be able to unplug the cable to it while its fitted.You can turn the sensor while its fitted to get at the small clip which secures the plug,use a small screwdriver to lift the clip while you pull the plug.The sensor is held in place with a plastic clip which you pull to release it,if you are quick and the o ring comes out you will lose hardly any water (I wasn't) if not it takes about 2 litres ish.A sensor is £28 from vw or 1/2" that from GSF(look for them on internet) good luck!

valley rower
07-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the advice, I've found a sensor for £18 delivered, and also I've managed to turn the old one which alows me to remove the connector block.

Thanks