PDA

View Full Version : Question wheel bearings maybe?

cossyrush
30-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi there,

I haven't posted for a while.
Had my B8 Sline for 12 months now, done approx 23K. The car has been perfect except over the last couple of weeks I've noticed an increasing amount of noise inside the car, like a droning noise. I thought I was imagining things, but my work colleague remarked on it today as well.

It's sounds like a rear wheel bearing to me, but I'm a little surprised that it's so soon.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Regards
Ben

MFGF
03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I have heard of cases where the rear tyres wear unevenly in a "sawtooth" pattern causing droning on A6 and B7 A4 models. Is it possible it could be the tyres? Can you pinpoint where abouts in the car the droning noise is coming from?

If you swap the rear tyres to the front of the car, does the noise move?

Just a thought.

MF.

theexey
04-12-2009, 04:59 PM
hi

i have had the same thing on my b7 a4. it had done about 22k and i thought the wheel bearings had gone at the rear. the noise was worst between 30-40mph.
jack your car up and spin the wheel, whilst its turning feel the inner edges of the tyre. mine had worn uneven almost like a series of flat spots on the tyre.
my brother works at vw as a techy and he's not aware of similar probs effecting passats or golfs. i put it down to a prob with the suspension set up or with the tyres. but when checked all the geometry on my car was as it should be.

hope this helps a little
regards
craig

cossyrush
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, it's a company car, so I'm going to take it to kwikfit first and get them to inspect the tyres, if they don't find anything then I'll do battle with the dealer.
(don't mind getting my hands dirty to fix my kit car , but not the work one)
Will keep you informed.
Cheers
Ben

B6Andy101
13-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I had this problem a number of times with my B6. It was down to uneven tyre wear on the rears - nothing you could see, but the noise would drive you insane after a while. Apparently it's quite well known in the B6 Avant.
I was running Dunlops and switched to Pirelli P Zero's which cured it.

No problems to date with the B8, still on original rears with 37,000 on it.

Make sure you get the rears balanced if you change the tyres, sometimes fitters dont bother with the rears. It may not make a difference but after having this problem previously I get them done.

cossyrush
13-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the replies, I had new rear tyres fitted last weekend and the noise is gone.
The tyres were worn, but not at the limit.
Unfortunately I didn't see the tyres that had been removed, so I don't know if there was any strange wear.
I find it hard to think that the tyres were flat spotted, but this seams like the only explaination to me.
Cheers
Ben.

redrolo
14-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I had the front right wheel bearing changed on mine (58 Sline) at 5k miles because the car just got very noisy all of a sudden, which coinsided with a slow puncture in the wheel!!! the problem went away with a new bearing fitted. The front tyres got noiser as the tyres (pilots) wore down. Replaced the fronts at 23k miles with 1.7mm of treat on them, and quietness resumed.