PDA

View Full Version : 90/110TDI tuning potential-NEWBIE

teccyjim
06-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi guys and gals,

Firstly please forgive me if this has been requested a few times (yes, I tried the search!!!). Finally got myself a Bora TDI, it was the right price for my budget which meant i had to go for the 110bhp model. For a 110bhp car and the economy it gives, I really shouldn't complain but it would be nice to have a little more torque especially at motorway speeds; it isn't much different from my old Accord 2.0. Would be nice to be in the region of 160bhp.

My plan was:

1) 0.24(?) injectors
2) exhaust
3) high flow filter
4) THEN re-map

Has anyone had any experience with the 90/110 tuning, if so what have you done, or what would you suggest that is missing from my list?

Any help is always appreciated and I look forward to contributing to the forum in the near future!!!
I'll keep you updated!!! :beerchug:

Jimbo

RSTuning
07-05-2007, 03:38 PM
How far are you wanting to go? Basically the stage one tuning on this makes a very good difference in terms of real world gains and will show a nice 30+hp on a dyno and 60+nm

If you want a steady daily driver that feels nice to drive i'd say try a stage one map.

Hope that helps

Paul

ini
07-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Add the VNT-17 turbo from a 150PD or 130pd engine, and alter the boost control for a few more psi, + front mounted intercooler.

You will need the higher boost and straight through exhaust to help stop the 0.240's smoking.

Rake
11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
.240 's ?

You'll need a VNT to give you the air intake for those monster nozzles !

teccyjim
11-05-2007, 07:36 PM
VNT??? Are the bigger injectors from a VW Transporter TDI?

James

Rake
12-05-2007, 01:55 PM
VNT??? Are the bigger injectors from a VW Transporter TDI?

James

Hi Jim,

.240 are considered to be for the race track only as they are not manufactured for road use by the likes of bosch.

For road use the biggest I have are .216's, I can get .240's but they come at a staggering 400 quid plus where as the .216's are 175. (I am not a trader but have been known to do forum bulk buys).

The problem with running .240's in a stock engine is airflow.
you wont be restricted by the amount of fuel injected, but you will have major problems with air if you dont supply the required amount by fitting a bigger turbo. VNT's are all the rage these days.

I am no expert but these are the basic principles, and you should consider all the steps you need to go thru to acheiv your desired outcome before launching headlonginto things as VNT turbo's and huge nozzles dont come cheaply.

I have a T4 and have used 216's and a remap. that gets me 50 BHP over stock and totally smoke free. for me this is economical as my mpg has not changed and the power is all I need for chasing A4's down the motorway... ;)

ini
13-05-2007, 12:45 AM
The largest i've seen are 0.260, but the quality of many of these nozzles is questionable.

The standard clutch will probably struggle to cope with much more power than the .216/pp520's for long.

Your .240's will smoke, but also give a lot more power. :D

Rake
13-05-2007, 10:21 AM
The largest i've seen are 0.260, but the quality of many of these nozzles is questionable.

The standard clutch will probably struggle to cope with much more power than the .216/pp520's for long.

Your .240's will smoke, but also give a lot more power. :D

Totally agree with ini here.

unless youhave alot of cash to upgrade the rest of the engine to suit the power - stick with .216's IMHO.

teccyjim
13-05-2007, 05:57 PM
apologies guys, I meant 0.216 injectors!!!

much to my disgust, having been sold the car as a 110 it is infact a 90. :zx11:

never the less its not what i would call slow and at 56mpg all day long i shouldnt complain.

QUESTIONS:

1) Best place to obtain 0.216 injectors? If second hand, which exact model do they come from including year etc???
2) I want to keep the standard turbo, what else should i change and in what order?
3) What kind of power/torque figures can I expect?

I really need to get this sorted soon-ish as driving up hills means i have to 'stir the cogs' to make a bit of progress and the all important 50-80mph time makes me unsure about overtaking.

Some top info so far guys, if you can help with this lot, I'd be very greatful.:beerchug:

Many thanks again,
James

Rake
13-05-2007, 10:29 PM
James,

at risk of appearing crude, I have a set of .216's I can sort you out with.
Brand spanking and proven nozzles. I've been running mine fpr 20K miles and no problems at all.

I'm not an expert in all things VAG so I dont know what your std turbo putsout but I reckon you'd be fne on it for a 33 % power increase for absolutly certain, if not more. I went from 102 bhp to 169 on the first remap but that was a little smokey on my K03 turbo so we turned her back to 155 bhp and she is dead clean....

IMHO the only other things you can upgrade is the clutch. but that can be done alter....if yours slips. If you have an EGR fitted - blank it off. Also remove the cat and fit a decat pipe...

Where abouts in the country are you ? I know a guy in the NW that is perhaps the best tuner in the country or at least one of them......

Mojogoes might be able to help too here......

teccyjim
14-05-2007, 09:16 PM
rake,

im from york originally so depends just how far north west you mean!?

am I right in asuming that the k03 turbo you mentioned is the standard 90/110 turbo or is it from another model. like you say, best to deal with the clutch when it happens!

are you looking to get rid of the injectors, if so pm me a price!!

James:beerchug:

Rake
15-05-2007, 09:28 AM
rake,

im from york originally so depends just how far north west you mean!?

am I right in asuming that the k03 turbo you mentioned is the standard 90/110 turbo or is it from another model. like you say, best to deal with the clutch when it happens!

are you looking to get rid of the injectors, if so pm me a price!!

James:beerchug:

James - the K03 is the standard fot for a 2.5Tdi 102 bhp T4.
yours may be different - I'll have to check.