PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Turbo 2002 Passat Estate TDI PD 130

redser
30-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Turbo Problem 51 plate Passat Estate TDI PD 130, 120K mls

Starts OK and when cold Turbo kicks in at 2-2.2K rpm, particularly on 1st/2nd Gear. Picks up OK 3rd/4th but weak grunt in 5th. When warmed up; no pick-up on all gears!. Motorway, 70mph, cruise control on, slight incline, drops back to 60mph. No obvious sigh of smokey exhaust. Recently had timing belt done and refreshed the engine coolant 2 wks ago. Still OK to drive, but sluggish performance. Need some hints before I take it to local garage. Thanks :confused:

martin1810
30-11-2009, 05:28 PM
You need a code read first so that someone can give you a few pointers. Could be sticky turbo vanes as this is so common but could be a number of things.

Peter D
30-11-2009, 08:48 PM
A bit premature for a Vag-com read as there is no EML ( Engine Management Light ) showing. In the light about the comment of a recent belt change then the first thing to check is that all the turbo to inter cooler pipes are all secure. This engine also suffers from the turbo vacuum actuator corroding through so all these need to be checked first. Regards Peter

Mike McKinstry
01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
EML will not show for all faults which vag-com will read for example 17965 overboost rarely lights the EML but will be readable from vag-com,therefore IMHO not too early for a diagnostic check and saves alot of messing about!
Mike

Peter D
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Yes I agree but in the light of the very recent timing belt change then the probability is that they failed to re-secure a boost pipe somewhere when they had the front in the service position. Regards Peter

redser
03-12-2009, 10:03 AM
You need a code read first so that someone can give you a few pointers. Could be sticky turbo vanes as this is so common but could be a number of things.
The Turbo problem "went away" the morning I planned to get a VAGCOM readout. I am advised that it was a Mass Flow Meter problem which resulted from the Timing Belt change activity and has been known to happen with these characteristics. Thanks to all for the assistance and Safe Journey. Redser

Peter D
03-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Did they do a code read of the logged fault with the AMM. Regards Peter