PDA

View Full Version : Polo 1.9TDI turbo not working - limp mode

cde3879
30-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi all,

I have a 52 reg Polo 1.9TDI with 102k on the clock. Up until today it has been working superbly.

I did a long drive (250 miles) in very very heavy rain yesterday - the car was fine. However on getting into it this afternoon and driving it down the road, it was obvious that something was seriously wrong with it power-wise as nothing happened when I put my foot down. It would get to the point where the turbo usually kicks in, but the turbo didn't kick in and it just made a lot of noise. It is so bad that even small hills are problematic even in second gear.

I have no doubt that it is either the turbo or something that is turbo-related, but do any of you know whether this is a common problem with this engine?

Another thing I have noticed which has been happening for 6 weeks or so intermittently is that sometimes, when I turn the car on the engine coolant level warning light comes on. There's plenty of coolant and turning the engine off and then immediately on again clears the warning, but it is unnerving nonetheless and possibly related to what has started happening today?

If anyone could give me some pointers before I take it to a garage to get it diagnosed, that would be great as no doubt I will be charged an arm and a leg even for them to just look at it and tell me what's up.

Cheers in advance,

Chris

kite
30-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Give the prongs in the coolant bottle scrape, they can fur up giving a false reading.
Check the pipes from the turboto the inlet,you may have blown a pipe off.

cde3879
30-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Give the prongs in the coolant bottle scrape, they can fur up giving a false reading.
Check the pipes from the turboto the inlet,you may have blown a pipe off.

Thanks Kite - will do. Just to add that there's no whooshing noises when I try and put the power down but will check the hoses in the morning.

Cheers!

vc-10
03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Dad's Golf Mk.3 did this a while back, and mum's Caravelle's had some turbo issues too. With dad's it was a pressure leak which was quickly and easily replaced, the Caravelle has some interesting problem with the electrics which didn't power up the turbo. It's also caused issues with the lighting. I think it's to do with the imobilizer, it's cured by stopping the car, locking it, and then unlocking it again using the remote. Very weird