PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant tdi Fuel consumption question

TapMyHed
27-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi All,

I have a 2002 A4 Avant 1.9 tdi 130 BHP FWD 5 speed manual 130000 miles. In the last 3 tankfulls of deisel I have calculated that I am averaging 40 MPG, using shell fuel too. Actually noted how much I put against miles travelled.

I used to have the old 110 red eye years ago and that returned 55 MPG.

I have changed the MAF for a bosch item and overall the car runs quite well.

What I would like to know is 40 MPG a typical consumption? I tried changing the way I drive, the first tankful was with a heavy foot, after this I put fuel cleaner through, changed the MAF and replaced the shocks/springs (which were a bit worn), still returned 40 mpg, the last tank full was used up with extremely conservative driving, soft footed, and still 40 MPG!!!

Any advice greatly received as I'm sure I can get that up nearer 50!!

Nige

blakey77
27-11-2009, 09:23 PM
I run a 2003 A6 Avant 1.9 TDI 130 (AWX) 5 speed 2WD with 175k on clock, I guess it's a little heavier than your A4, but over a tank full of mixed driving I get about 40mpg. On long runs I've seen up to 46mpg but generally it stays in the low forties.

I've previously owned 110TDI Passat's and even achieved over 60mpg but always averaged over 50, the PD engines may perform better but they'll never match old rotary pump engines economy.

Boy
27-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I was running a 2001 1.9 115 avant with 128k miles and five gears till last week when it was written off and regularly achieved 56ish.
Now started running a 2003 1.9 130 avant with 111k miles and six gears and hoping for as much. I shall be interested to know what others get from this model.:D

evansj1
27-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm hearing you TapMyhed!
Just got the fiancee an A4tdi 130 '53 with 42000 miles on it and only returning 40ish mpg on that which i'm slightly dissappointed with.
My brother ran a Bora tdi 110 for a few years and never saw less than 50mpg.

TapMyHed
27-11-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm so hoping I'm not stuck with 40 MPG!!!!!! That would just suck considering Audi are supposed to be pioneers in this area, especially with the older 110.

I love the car, its a good drive. Fitted a new new set of springs and shocks couple of weeks back, rear springs were a battle to change, but managed it and now have a responsive firm handling car. Got heavy duty German made TUV approved bottom arms coming next week for the princely sum of £150 delivered (all 4)...got a knocking ball joint....oh the joy of over complicated wishbones!

Other than that, if anyone has ideas or tips on how to improve economy, I'd really like to know! Alternatively if you know your consumption, post it up!!

IF you have a AWX engine returning 50 MPG, share your secret!:aargh4:

Thanks for the replies so far!

Oh, has anyone tried the cyclone thingy you put in the intake?? Apparently it swirls the air more and creates conditions for a better burn....supposed to be as close to injectors as possible, in the air intake.

Nige

Camb-Tech
28-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the replies so far!

Oh, has anyone tried the cyclone thingy you put in the intake?? Apparently it swirls the air more and creates conditions for a better burn....supposed to be as close to injectors as possible, in the air intake.

Nige

I constantly get 50 to 53 mpg brim to brim calculations which equals 750 miles on a tank no problems and it's an avant.

Though mostly motorway driving using shell standard diesel.

I would check for modifications and air leaks. Use vagcom to run turbo and MAF tests.

Haven't replaced a MAF before myself, but i've read many times the VAG MAF is some how more reliable or better than the same bosch supplied part.

As far as the cyclone thing, don't bother. The only way to create a 'cyclone' in the cylinder is by inlet port design in the head like the FSI engine.

You didn't say if you've run any diagnostic scans at all?

I think your next setp is to hook it up to VAGCOM.

ali_a4_avant
28-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I have a 2003 A4 1.9tdi 130 2 wheel drive, 74k on clock and easily get 55mpg.

TapMyHed
29-11-2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks for replies. Not run any scans as yet. I have the Ross tech software, did not know it could run tests. I think I'll check for air leaks maybe even just replace all the vacuum pipes. I'll try to run the software this week and see how I get on. Would it be better just to give the car to Audi and get them to sort it out? Would feel like I was giving them a blank cheque!!

SebRogers
29-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm so hoping I'm not stuck with 40 MPG!!!!!! That would just suck considering Audi are supposed to be pioneers in this area, especially with the older 110.

Other than that, if anyone has ideas or tips on how to improve economy, I'd really like to know! Alternatively if you know your consumption, post it up!!

Nige

The 110 was a great engine in its time and had probably the best performance / economy compromise going. When I sold my 110 Octavia at 140,000 miles I was regularly getting a genuine 60mpg on long runs :)

Have you tried all the obvious stuff?

- brakes not binding
- tyres at correct pressures
- no roofrack, no excess weight in the boot

(Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but it all adds up...)

I can squeeze a bit over 50mpg (measured brim to brim - the DIS is typically optimistic) out of my AWX on a long run, or high 40s with mixed driving. I do tend to drive with economy in mind, though:

- accelerate quickly and smoothly and change up as early as possible
- stick to the speed limit (except on motorways, where I tend to go with the flow of the traffic)
- plan ahead and avoid unnecessary braking / accelerating etc.
- try never to stop at traffic lights, if all possible (see above)

I've noticed that if I've been driving like this for a couple of hours, it only takes 20 minutes or so of 'spirited' driving to knock my fuel consumption back by 10% or so for the trip. So it can make a big difference.

HTH :beerchug:

Dave Avant
30-11-2009, 01:22 PM
40mpg or atleast early 40s out of the AWX 130 is right. As said you can get over 50mpg but thats normally a good constant speed. 40-42mpg combined average on a tank is what you should be looking at.

Mine does drop to 38mpg but that's because mine is remapped and I like to use the xtra performance which obviously uses more fuel! :D

danclyon
01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
40mpg or atleast early 40s out of the AWX 130 is right. As said you can get over 50mpg but thats normally a good constant speed. 40-42mpg combined average on a tank is what you should be looking at.

Mine does drop to 38mpg but that's because mine is remapped and I like to use the xtra performance which obviously uses more fuel! :D

What's the difference between the AWX and the AVF then? My AVF 130 Multi-chronic avant gets an absolute minimum of 43mpg measured on Tesco diesel.....my last tank on VPower (no change in route/driving style etc) returned just under 48mpg measured....(on nearly a full tank - but the VPower is 20 miles away so I have to swing by on the way home.....) (13.18 gallons, 631 miles)....and that was hammering to/fro the office at motorway speeds plus some sat in traffic....

Cheers,
Dan.

Dave Avant
03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
My DIS tells me a consistent 46ish mpg rising to 50mpg if pootling along, but a manual calculation of mileage and tank usuage generally equates to 42ish mpg.

The AVF has a bit more torque than the AWX, generally the AVF is fitted with a 6 speed box.

Both same bhp, but AWX has 210lb/ft and the AVF has 229lb/ft.

TapMyHed
03-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Mmmm.

Ok, I phoned Audi about this, there simple answer: come on down and we'll plug into it and see whats up....it'll cost you 37+vat. No advice other than that, or anything else! I'm not surprised, I could tell you stories about the quality of service in the past that would make you cry....one thing I did learn...if you have to phone an Audi dealership for fair advice, phone Audi Kingslynn, truely a cut above the rest.

Today I fitted a K&N filter. I'm a biker and have one on my machine, which has (with a tune up) produced some excellent results. If the flows can be improved, then perhaps over the distance the consumption can be improved too. We'll see though.

Other than that, I'll get round to vagcom ing the car and see what is actually going on.

Its a good discussion this, considering the gradual increase in fuel prices.....wait till after the January sales......oh joy.

TapMyHed
03-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Heres a question, has anyone de-catted there exhaust? I have heard that better exhaust flows will improve consumption....not to mention power too....it might be a partly clogged CAT is causing the grief.

Anyone know where I can get a decat pipe from? Worth a go I think.
:o

Camb-Tech
04-12-2009, 09:20 PM
steer clear of oiled K&N filters.

They will over time put a film of oil over your MAF sensor and wreck it.

Clinterous
05-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I think comparing MPG is not going to acheive anything as everyone has different styles/techniques in how they drive. Furthermore if one is going by the DIS, then there could also be a margin of error here as the calibration may differ slightly.

Because of the way that the 1.9 PD engines deliver their power, there is a fine line to using the enigne to its maximum efficiency.

evansj1
05-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Could someone please write a few words on this thread explaining the different types of engines. I'm reading references to AWX's and PD's and i'm really interested to know the differences.
Did the early B6's have a different engine to the newer model B6's?
Which is the most fuel efficient???
As i've said earlier in this thread i'm slightly frustrated that my fiancee's '53 B6 is only averaging 40ish mpg and i'm intrigued to learn a bit more and see if it can be improved upon or whether i'd be throwing money away on a fix that just isn't there/needed!
Cheers,
Jase

TapMyHed
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Ditto to Jase's comments above.
I want to see better numbers, if its at all possible!?!?!

TapMyHed
07-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Seems I have another idea.....

Just been reading posts about the EGR valve. I have a smokey engine so seems I have a problem here and it appears it can affect consumption.....

so Experiment N02: disconnect / clean EGR and see what happens.

The K&N filter did not do much for consumption, no change, however, response slightly better......worth replacing? Not sure.

Still want to decat the exhaust though....I might have a pipe made up. Will be after xmas though, too busy at the moment.

Nige:o

danclyon
07-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Ditto to Jase's comments above.
I want to see better numbers, if its at all possible!?!?!

How about an Economy remap if you've exhausted all other options? Many sponsors on here can probably do one and allegedly can improve fuel economy quite markedly.....I can't speak from experience though as I get good economny from mine :-)

Cheers,
Dan.

FLENG2008
07-12-2009, 09:51 PM
just to jump in the thread our a4 53 reg 1.9 tdi 110 5 spd fwd only does 50 on a journey when your careful, was expecting around 55 really

i have a golf 1.9 115 and that will do easy 55+ on a journey, i have even had 60+ when on slow b roads doing aroung 50mph

it might be that the audi is heavier i dunno

JonesIS
07-12-2009, 11:30 PM
I have a 2002 TDI 130 A4 quattro with which I used to struggle to get more than 45mpg (in warm weather - would be even less in Winter). Around 3 months ago I replaced the car's 17" wheels (235/45) with 16" ones (215/55) which gave an immediate improvement to around 50mpg. (The figures are from the DIS which seems to be around 2mpg optimistic on my car). I believe the correct tyre size for the car is 205/55x16 so might see a further improvement when renewed next time.

My old B5 quattro TDI 110 used to average 50-54mpg on A and B roads, this would raise to 58mpg on a motorway run (mainly at 70mph). The B6 in contrast doesn't seem to improve at all on a motorway run. I do find this strange and suspect the MAF might be less optimal at higher rates of intake airflow (this is just my thought - not based on any experienced know-how)

My figures are based on a daily commute of 35miles each way (so not too many short trips). Traffic is generally light in the mornings and moderate in the evenings.

FLENG2008
07-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I have a 2002 TDI 130 A4 quattro with which I used to struggle to get more than 45mpg (in warm weather - would be even less in Winter). Around 3 months ago I replaced the car's 17" wheels (235/45) with 16" ones (215/55) which gave an immediate improvement to around 50mpg. (The figures are from the DIS which seems to be around 2mpg optimistic on my car). I believe the correct tyre size for the car is 205/55x16 so might see a further improvement when renewed next time.

My old B5 quattro TDI 110 used to average 50-54mpg on A and B roads, this would raise to 58mpg on a motorway run (mainly at 70mph). The B6 in contrast doesn't seem to improve at all on a motorway run. I do find this strange and suspect the MAF might be less optimal at higher rates of intake airflow (this is just my thought - not based on any experienced know-how)

My figures are based on a daily commute of 35miles each way (so not too many short trips). Traffic is generally light in the mornings and moderate in the evenings.

both mine have 18's
the audi drives really good but just doesnt seem as economical
it is a bigger car than the golf and probs heavier
maybe when i have time i could clean the maf see if its makes any diff..

Marco34
08-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Just to add my piece. I had my 2001 1.9 TDI 130 re-mapped like Dave Avant and it really depends on how it's driven. When I've been to Manchester (now with 50mph zones everywhere on the M6 and 62 I get 58mpg. A steady 60 mph and mostly urban will yield 62mpg plus.

I know these values are correct as I've adjust the DIS calc using VCDS. It's was often woefully out doe to be 15% optimisitc. I find most TDis will be very similar. The big difference comes after a remap!!! Overall I get more MPG with more power. I found mine improved further after 6 months. I do low mileage too. Car is at 48k now.