PDA

View Full Version : Fuel consumption 1997 1.4 polo

kook80
27-11-2009, 06:40 PM
i have noticed recently that my fuel consumption seems to have gone very poor, around this time last year i was getting 100 miles for every £10, now i seem to be getting between 60/70 miles for £10, i have only just had the car serviced and 4 new tyres hoping to see an improvement but after two weeks nothing has changed, any ideas?

STEWY L
27-11-2009, 06:42 PM
do we get the same amount of fuel for £10 now,as we did then?
regards,
stewy.

kook80
27-11-2009, 06:57 PM
there wasnt much of a difference, now i am paying 105.9 a litre and back then it was hovering around the 99.9 - 103.9, it was definatly not 40 - 30% difference. i have even measured motorway journeys and short trips and still the same, the only thing i can think of is that the car is just old and inefficiant

Panzerdriver
27-11-2009, 06:59 PM
i have noticed recently that my fuel consumption seems to have gone very poor, around this time last year i was getting 100 miles for every £10, now i seem to be getting between 60/70 miles for £10, i have only just had the car serviced and 4 new tyres hoping to see an improvement but after two weeks nothing has changed, any ideas?

Have you noticed any change in performance??
In the not too distant past my wifes Polo (1.4 CL 96 reg) decided to act up, fuel consumption increased and performance was not as lively.

Purely by chance one evening as she parked her car in the garage i noticed the packing from the rear exhaust box was being blown out (looked like something had been stuffed up the tail pipe.) Anyway i decided to change the rear box and voila fuel consumption returned to normal along with the performance.

Its worth checking to see if there is any restriction in the exhaust as this will affect your car. There maybe other problems but certainly this one was the cause of ours.