PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying A6 ...good car? any problems?

stopboss
05-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi all, I have always been a Mercedes owner but have just test driven an Audi A6 2.0 TDI SE. I must say it was a lovely car to drive.
I'm not an expert at cars so plz bear with me.
It has S Line Trim, Multitronic Tranmission, DVD Sat Nav,MMI High (???????), GSM Phone and a few other bits n bobs. Basically, what I'd like to know is are there any known problems with these cars? I am a TOTAL noob to Audi's. Or even if you have one plz encourage me to buy it!! Any comments would be appreciated.

Fettler
05-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Buy buy buy
You wont be dissapointed, i have 2 they are fantastic cars to drive.:approve:
I know merc have a good name but they dont age as well as Audi's.
You'll soon see what i mean.:D :D :D

torrox
08-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi all, I have always been a Mercedes owner but have just test driven an Audi A6 2.0 TDI SE. I must say it was a lovely car to drive.
It has S Line Trim, Multitronic Tranmission, DVD Sat Nav,MMI High (???????), GSM Phone and a few other bits n bobs. Basically, what I'd like to know is are there any known problems with these cars? I am a TOTAL noob to Audi's. Or even if you have one plz encourage me to buy it!! Any comments would be appreciated.

I've recently bought an A6 1.8T built in 1998 - If they look this good inside after that many years then they are built to last. Wish i'd bought one earlier! :approve:

acetaylor
08-05-2007, 01:52 PM
MMI is like a sat nav bluetooth hifi phone jobby OS (Operating System) thingy for your audi with displays all over the shop (instrument panel and dash!)

Audi's are great to drive and own
You will not regret buying this car and wonder why it has taken so long to do so when you take it for its first proper drive

Gary64
10-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I can't remember if the A6 2.0 tdi has the 170 bhp option, maybe it's just an A4 option. Last month I took delivery of an A6 2.7 tdi avant. From what I know now, your 2.0 tdi has two distinct advantages over the 2.7 tdi (and 3.0 tdi?). Firstly, you get free sat nav. And secondly, your cd player will be mounted in the dash, rather than - bizarrely - in the glove compartment, like mine. As I've elected for a cd changer too, there is only enough room in the glove compartment for the Audi manuals in their wallet and that's it! I have to stow my Tom-tom in the door well. The mounting kit for the Tom-tom has nowhere to go. I tried stowing it in the underseat storage drawers, but they are not big enough - in fact they're a joke. I end up having to shove it under the passenger seat from the back, and even that would not be possible if I had electric seats. In a car of this size, I'm amazed at how little storage there is in the cabin.

The boot of my A4 had a very handy cubby hole on both sides, but on the A6 there is only an indented space on the right with some storage netting and on the left the cubby hole is filled with the frame and heat-sink for sat nav - even though it is not fitted.

The multitronic 'box is very nice though, and that V6 engine......lovely - it reminds me of my old Dad's V8 Rover. The car is very comfy, too.

buster
10-05-2007, 08:41 PM
[quote=Gary64;38333]I can't remember if the A6 2.0 tdi has the 170 bhp option, maybe it's just an A4 option. quote]

According to Wakefield Audi, the 170bhp is not an option on the A6 as it would take business away from the 2.7TDi

I am sure you have it chipped up though.

PhilR
10-05-2007, 11:11 PM
I can't remember if the A6 2.0 tdi has the 170 bhp option, maybe it's just an A4 option. Last month I took delivery of an A6 2.7 tdi avant. From what I know now, your 2.0 tdi has two distinct advantages over the 2.7 tdi (and 3.0 tdi?). Firstly, you get free sat nav. And secondly, your cd player will be mounted in the dash, rather than - bizarrely - in the glove compartment, like mine. As I've elected for a cd changer too, there is only enough room in the glove compartment for the Audi manuals in their wallet and that's it! I have to stow my Tom-tom in the door well. The mounting kit for the Tom-tom has nowhere to go. I tried stowing it in the underseat storage drawers, but they are not big enough - in fact they're a joke. I end up having to shove it under the passenger seat from the back, and even that would not be possible if I had electric seats. In a car of this size, I'm amazed at how little storage there is in the cabin.

The boot of my A4 had a very handy cubby hole on both sides, but on the A6 there is only an indented space on the right with some storage netting and on the left the cubby hole is filled with the frame and heat-sink for sat nav - even though it is not fitted.

The multitronic 'box is very nice though, and that V6 engine......lovely - it reminds me of my old Dad's V8 Rover. The car is very comfy, too.

The CD changer is in the glove compartment for the 2.0 TDi too - well, it is for my 07 plate, and was too for my 05 one.

Great car though the multitronic does gobble the fuel at about 20% greater rate than the manual. I find the s-line too hard a drive (though it looks great). The standard SE set up has a firm ride on the 17" alloys, and personally wouldn't buy the s-line - I also don't like the black headlining in the s-line, but that's a personal choice.

I would rather have a 2.7 TDi SE than a 2.0 s-line.

Buy an A6 though. My friend has just swapped an E class for a new 2,7 avant and loves it.

Gary64
11-05-2007, 07:07 AM

Just another thought....if you go ahead and you want the GSM phone option (it's handy) make sure that Audi have the cradle for your phone. Although I have the fairly common Nokia 6234, Audi don't have a cradle for it yet. This wasn't checked prior to ordering and although the phone connects to the car's MMI via bluetooth, it obviously doesn't charge and I keep losing the connection mid-call. I don't know whether the cradle connection is solely for charging or if it hard-wires the signal through to the MMI as well.

PhilR
11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Just another thought....if you go ahead and you want the GSM phone option (it's handy) make sure that Audi have the cradle for your phone. Although I have the fairly common Nokia 6234, Audi don't have a cradle for it yet. This wasn't checked prior to ordering and although the phone connects to the car's MMI via bluetooth, it obviously doesn't charge and I keep losing the connection mid-call. I don't know whether the cradle connection is solely for charging or if it hard-wires the signal through to the MMI as well.

I would tend to agree as I've got a Nokia N73 and there's two hopes of getting a cradle for that...and one is Bob. I did have a few initial problems with me being able to hear the caller but the caller not hearing me. However, it seems to have sorted itself out now.

golftouran
06-06-2007, 05:19 PM
i'm thinking about buying an a6 3.0 tdi avant manual, Le Mans edition any advice would be appreciated.....especially the debate of manual or auto box....