PDA

View Full Version : Buggered?

Turkster
05-05-2007, 02:13 PM
got a passat with no fans blowing inside the car, we have stripped out the pollen filter and its houseing from under the windscreen and cleaned out 8 years of no cleaning maintaince whats so ever, we pulled out over 2kilos of dead leafs and dirt from all around that area including taking battery out and ECU area, basicly we have cleaned out the whole of the top area of the bulk head, I will be re sealing the hole to the inside with a sealant and a new seal, new polen filter, that should see the passat go good for the next 10 years or so, i will post a pic later,

What iv got inside is a Climate control unit that flashies like this, then settle s down later and looks as it shoud,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Turkish/passat%20damage/04052007666.jpg

does it sould like the unit is buggered? or does it need a bit of love somewhere?

snapdragon
05-05-2007, 03:18 PM
It shouldn't be like that, the only time mine goes like that is when VAGCOM is plugged in and running tests on it.
I think you should get the double-din panel anyway and move it to the bottom and lose the gamma radio for an MFD sat nav.:beerchug:

shooey88
05-05-2007, 05:42 PM
when it flashes it means there is a fault logged. it can be read with vagcom.

minty0_10
05-05-2007, 09:24 PM
ah mine flashes now again when i first start the car still works through

passat 1 b5
06-05-2007, 10:30 AM
check the fan unit has power down to it if so that the unit is not open circuit you can pick up cheap basic muiltimeters from argos/halfords make sure before purchasing that it has continuity check hope you find the fault

Turkster
06-05-2007, 09:15 PM
well iv taken that unit out of this passat and swapped it for another, the fan still wont work well, it fires up very very week for a few seconds then gives up, so i feel the fan is next on my hit list on tuesday,

the unit when i fit in into another passat does the same flashing deal, but after 30 seconds settles down and does everything its ment to,

i do feel the fan unit is slightlt stuffed and will need a 2nd hand unit from the breakers,

dysdera
12-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I have just fitted another one of these units to get blue illumination. When I connected it it flashed then settled exactly as yours did. I scanned it with Vagcom(free) and then cleared the fault log, and it worked perfectly.
Hope this helps.

Suckmyrockets
17-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Turkster

My 1998 TDi has developed exactly this same fault :-( with a similar amount of debris cleared from the scuttle area.

Flashing display on the CLIMATronic and then no fans (although all the other electronics appear to be working as I can hear the vents switching electronically). Just in time for the sun to come out no doubt...

Did you diagnose this in the end? If so, would you be good enough to share your findings / resolution.

Many thanks in advance,

Julian

got a passat with no fans blowing inside the car, we have stripped out the pollen filter and its houseing from under the windscreen and cleaned out 8 years of no cleaning maintaince whats so ever, we pulled out over 2kilos of dead leafs and dirt from all around that area including taking battery out and ECU area, basicly we have cleaned out the whole of the top area of the bulk head, I will be re sealing the hole to the inside with a sealant and a new seal, new polen filter, that should see the passat go good for the next 10 years or so, i will post a pic later,

What iv got inside is a Climate control unit that flashies like this, then settle s down later and looks as it shoud,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Turkish/passat%20damage/04052007666.jpg

does it sould like the unit is buggered? or does it need a bit of love somewhere?

dysdera
18-05-2007, 06:55 AM
All I did was clear the fault log. Apparently this is what a climatronic does if it has anything in its fault log.

Suckmyrockets
18-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I am still expereincing intermittant loss of the internal blower (on any speed setting).

That's why I asked in particular what Turkster did to resolve what appears to be an identical problem.

Thank you for the info - can the error code be read using VAG COM. If so, I don't suppose you can tell me what lead I need to purchase? (I know, I should really include this in a separate post...)

Cheers,

Julian

Dozz
18-05-2007, 06:10 PM
My Seat Bahmaa was doing the same thing Had the fault codes read and it pointed to the compressor. Had the system regassed and it didn't flash anymore but the compressor was shot. Had to have a new compressor, reciever drier and condessor at a cost of 850 quid!!!!! lucky for me the garage where I purchased it payed for it. Something else to note if the gas presure is low then the fan dosen't kick in and the compressor clutch dosen't ingage to protect the compressor from damage. Best get the ac serviced firstas it only costs about 60 quid

Suckmyrockets
19-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Cheers fo the information - I'm currently running the car without the air con pump connected as the clutch has broken up. The front pulley wheel and clutch were removed from the compressor housing.

I didn't realise that the CLIMATronic was 'clever' enough to realise that the compressor wasn't operationand to generate a fault code...

That may go some way to explaining the intermittant nature. The AC system is still pressurised - just intend changing over the clutch assembly once I track down a suitable replacement.

:beerchug:
Cheers !!