PDA

View Full Version : Passat Towbar

Sheepdog
26-11-2009, 06:09 PM
It seem looking around forum, that the bumper carrier with dampers, needs to be removed and left out, when fitting a towbar. Can anyone confirm this?
Have not got to electrics yet, but was going to use an old wiring loom. It has relay for the flashers, but that is all, it used to connected with scotch blocks. Any problems doing the same?
Passat estate 4motion 2003.

Sheepdog
27-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Well after taking the bumper cover etc off. No way for the dampers etc to go back. With towbae in place. All the holes lined up nicely. Only problem, 1 bolt missing, give them a ring later.

The main ****** do not always.
I was quoted £285 supply only and £244 from another place. They might have been the disappearing type, but I was not bothered about one of them.
Called the ***** they had ended up with a couple, wrongly ordered. sat on their shelves taking up space. Normal price £195. To Me £60.

Took 1.5 hrs with tea break, well it was a bit cold. Only the electrics to go. Might get one of these 7 relay jobs, Or I might make one.

brownswiss
29-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Well after taking the bumper cover etc off. No way for the dampers etc to go back. With towbae in place. All the holes lined up nicely. Only problem, 1 bolt missing, give them a ring later.

The main ****** do not always.
I was quoted £285 supply only and £244 from another place. They might have been the disappearing type, but I was not bothered about one of them.
Called the ***** they had ended up with a couple, wrongly ordered. sat on their shelves taking up space. Normal price £195. To Me £60.

Took 1.5 hrs with tea break, well it was a bit cold. Only the electrics to go. Might get one of these 7 relay jobs, Or I might make one.

Got one fitted recently to my 2005 passat. It took them 5hrs. The cost incl fitting for a bosal towbar incl electrics was €285 agred in advance

Sheepdog
05-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Well, £16 for a 7way relay from ebay, not worth making one.
Thats all wired in now, just have to connect to vehicle wiring.

So I am not rushing. Its cold out there.
got some wire colour codings, But, 1st list did not match.
Not to worry, took light unit out, interesting, they all have an output connector. Got some mini spade connectors, hopefully they will just plug in.
OK not as good as the dedicated wiring, with shape coded plugs, BUT.
£50 cheaper.
Sketched out the connections today, about half hour, thats for both sides.

Interesting that the near side does not have rear fog wire connected.

Only problem I can see so far is, the disconnection of rear Fog, when trailer is connected. Need to cut cable, or pull wire out of plug, and reconnect, same. Easier to cut wire.
Have not looked for a permanent supply to the relay yet, As someone else said, off side you have power outlets, so ran my wires to that. BUT still to look. is there a trailer supply line? Will have to find out. save running a 25amp cable through the car. I am sure the connections in the boot will not give 25A
All the connections, are at the lamp unit coded.

I am taking pics of all this, So if any one needs any info, Hopefully this will give it, Dont want to upload loads of pics, if not needed, can always email

PFJones
17-12-2009, 04:51 PM
hi mate we on the end of a phone if you need pointing in the right direction for any information :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Andy66
31-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Hi, just got an 05 passat tdi to replace my Mondeo. Now looking to fit tow bar, if you have any more advice/pics ect that would be great. mail: andy@joshua.karoo.co.uk.
Thanks Andy.