PDA

View Full Version : Polo mk4 1.4 Throttle alignment

dj_harps
26-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi I recently serviced my polo it on a 1997 R plate. I thought I'd top up the bettery too, I also sprayed sum carb creaner into the throttle body only a tiny bit.

After I put it all back to getther I noticed the car was idling around 1100, and and it was idling bit funny, before this it was fine never a problem.

I'm not sure but I think it may have been the battery, when I took it off it lost some settings.

So I opened up the throttle body and cleaned it out put it together and still the same problem.

I then took of the power lead that goes to the throttle body and the car started to run at the normal speed 900 rpm.

Once I put back the power to the throttle body, the car went mad with the reving.

I think there might be some error codes on the ecu that nead clearing and I think my machanic said that the throttle body need realignment, however there is no engine management light come on the dash, does mk4 polo have and engine management light??

Has anybody experienced this problem before, and also if I buy a VAG-com cable off ebay and down load a copy of vag-com will I beable to perform basic settings on the free version.

dj_harps
27-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Update,

Managed to get it diagnosed on Vag-com and the following errors come up all the time even after clearing the codes:

1 Fault Found:
00533 - Idle Speed Regulation
09-00 - Adaptation Limit Surpassed

I bought a second hand throttle body put it in and still get the same problem, so the original is fine.

Set it back to basic settings and still the same problem the idle speed settles on 1100 RPM.

Also cleaned out the MAF sensor, checked the ERG vavle, checked pipes for leaks, still no joy. However the fuel pressure regulator doesnt make difference if its pluged up or not, nor does it show up on the scan, wondering if this is whats causing the fault.

Any ideas it is driving me mad I've spent 5 days on this, worst thing is nothing was wrong with the car, I just serviced it as usual and put carb cleaner in the thorttle flap, as I was changing the air filter put it all back together and the problem started.

g40jon
01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
try disconnecting the battery for a day, this should clear the faults from the ecu. if they come back again then i would say there is a problem

kenney
01-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Seemingly the carb cleaner has done more damage than good.The fault code 00533 Adaption Limit Exceeded = Throttle valve housing of throttle valve control part dirty = Idling speed not within tolerances = Clean throttle valve control part throttle valve housing and adapt to the ECU The fuel pressure regulator will not show up as a fault code,nor will removing the battery terminal erasse any fault codes.

g40jon
02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
nor will removing the battery terminal erasse any fault codes.

why not? it works on the mk3 polos and ive also used this method on a mk3 golf without hassle. does the mk4 have some kind of battery backup to stop it loosing the data

dj_harps
02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
After wasting about 5 days I decided to change the temperature sensor as I was thinking that the car is running on choke. I hooked up the computer and the reading was not going past 54c but the car was showing 95c, so I went to GSF got a temperature sensor from them and changed it. It cured the idling problem the car started idling correctly, however it caused a massive problem the car started cutting out after 10 mins of the engine running and refused to come back to life, there was spark and everything. The engine was turning but it was not starting.

Managed to get the car started again took it out and it broke down, towed it home left it in front of the house, had sumthing to eat and was going to push it into the drive, I thought let me start it, bingo it started.

So I was really confused, next day I took out the GSF temperature sensor put the original back in, and the car started working fine, no faults or any thing. The car has been working fine for the last few days now.

I think it might have been the GSF temperature sensor, Im never gona buy anything from GSF from now on apart from filters an oil, i've heard there parts are not good, there tensioners break etc.