PDA

View Full Version : Flickering ESP switch and random airbag light appears!! :(

Killer passat
26-11-2009, 03:33 AM
The ESP button flickers on and off on the motorwa. But nothing appears on the clocks! Seems like a loose connection but it's never been out by me and why only on the motorway?!

Also had the airbag light just randomly appeared on my dials!!! Why would this happen? It's not going off either :(

any help much appreciated

thanks

Quatrelle
26-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Airbag light - have you been moving the front seats about? Worth doing a search on the B6 forum.

For any intermittent electrical fault I regularly :o suggest disconnecting/reconnecting the battery (for about 5 mins) as a first step.

Killer passat
26-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Ok I'll give the battery one a try

and as for the airbag light? Moving seats about?

Like rolling them forward and backwards? Yeah adjust the seat all the time, surly this can't be the issue here??

pon
26-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Like rolling them forward and backwards? Yeah adjust the seat all the time, surly this can't be the issue here??

Check the connections for the seat airbags

Quatrelle
26-11-2009, 05:59 PM
There's a lot of wiring under the front seat - on mine (lhd) it's under the passenger side - and there have been a lot of reports on here of problems with that wiring.

I had the airbag light 'fixed' three times by strengthening (hard-wiring) the wiring under the seat. In my case they eventually changed an airbag and hopefully that seems to have cured it - it's been about a year now.

It's not just Passats that have this problem - exactly the same thing happened to a friend's BMW from new and he gave up on it. The wiring's in the same place. There are a lot of others. Mine was fixed under guarantee.

Do a search for airbag light

martin1810
26-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Get a code read done. You can't guess which airbag region is bringing on the light and don't ever fiddle with the wiring unless the battery is disconnected and you have waited 10 minutes or so.