PDA

View Full Version : VW Passat 2.0 Tdi BKP BIG PROBLEM!

andy121
25-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Hi all, i have a passat on a 2005 2.0 Tdi 140 bhp engine code BKP.

I was driving the car and the oil pressure light came up. maybe a minute or two after i hear 2 loud whooosh noises from under the bonnet.

I pull over and have the car recovered to a local garage.

Ive now changed the oil pump which was the problem. the garage are telling me now the turbo has gone. however theres a tapping noise coming from the engine.

should i change the engine with turbo or just turbo?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

angus
25-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Sister car to mine did just the same as yours, no oil pressure then knocking = new engine.

Mine just didn`t bother with the knocking.............. (new engine!)

If its run without oil pressure I would expect the bottom end to be kaput. Sorry, but it`s been well documented on here.

andy121
25-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the reply angus.

Do you know if vw are fixing this FOC?

thanks again

angus
25-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Mine went at 28k, the other went at 18k, both fixed without quibble by vw.

There was a known fault on the oil pump drive (poor case-hardening on an idler gear) which leads to catastrophic failure on units built late 2005/early2006 (think Crasher has posted engine or chassis numbers somewhere), which affect VWs, Audis, Skodas and Seats using the 140TDI lump. It has been well publicised but VW chose not to do a recall, so even if its out of warranty morally they should fix it.

Do a bit more research, get the facts together and prepare to battle. Best of luck.

Crasher
25-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Oil pump drive spindle failure, very very common on cars up to around the middle of 2006 production.

Quatrelle
25-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Oil pump drive spindle failure, very very common on cars up to around the middle of 2006 production.

"If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen".....

the surfer
26-11-2009, 12:17 AM
I hear about this far too often! :mad:

Very worrying considering I own the same car, same MY, same engine....

What is your mileage?

It wouldn't be quite so bad if the preventative measure (retrofit of revised oil pump) wasn't so damn expensive either!

Keep us posted. All the best!

andy121
26-11-2009, 04:02 AM
hi again, called VW in and am now waiting for a response back from them.

But to be honest dont think ill get much joy as she said there had been no product recall on the car as regards to the oil pump. also they were unaware of this being a common fault

P.s the milage is now just over a 100,000 which should be nothing lol.. i remember a saying.... " you'll get the full potential of of your engine on a vw at 100,000 as everything has jus worn in"... YEH RIGHT!:aargh4:

Quatrelle
26-11-2009, 05:19 AM
'Unaware'? - That completely disagrees with what Crasher says (and he should know).

It's a known fault, and VW saying they've not done a recall doesn't mean a thing.

As Angus says, do some searching around on here - his experience is a start - arm yourself with the facts and have another go.

the surfer
26-11-2009, 10:52 PM
^^^ What Quatrelle said.

Good luck!

shropslad
01-05-2010, 09:40 PM
This sounds worrying,, my passat was registerd in may 2007 so could be a 2006 built car or even 2005,, what are the engine/chassis numbers that were posted:1zhelp: so i can check mine, its just done 60k & will be 3 years old so officially out of warrenty. :confused:
Thanks in advance.

Meds
01-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Angus mentioned chassis/engine numbers have been posted on this site by Crasher ... I've had a gander and can't find the posting, which obviously mean it deffinately there, but I just can't find it :confused: ... Has anyone got a link to the posting? ...

What is the cost of a new modified type oil pump, plus gaskets etc ... I'd rather sort it out myself than wait for it to happen ... cheers

johnloaderuk
02-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Meds, there were some engine codes mentioned by Crasher if you follow the following link, not sure if this is what you are after but hope it helps. Start on page 4, then on later pages chassis numbers are also mentioned.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71509&highlight=oil+pump&page=4

Quatrelle
02-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Have a look to see if there's a sticker on the jack cover in the boot - some dealers put a sticker there with any 'recall' that has been done.

Can't remember the code, but if there is one (or two, in my case), do a search for 'stickers' or 'jack cover' and you might find it.

You could also ask your VW dealer to have a look on his pc....

Meds
02-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Mine is a B6 2006 2.0 litre 140bhp ... WVW ZZZ 3C Z 6E 06**** .... so its looking like I have bought one within the range of the oil pump drive problems.

To be honest if I'd known of this problem prior I wouldn't have bought the car!

I dont mind the niggles every car has, but in my job I have to have reliability ... my car has done 51000 so will have to give the problem some thought ... I might contact the main agents, I intended on contacting them anyhow, was going to get it serviced at the main agents, purely so to keep the main agents service record up to date.

There are four stickers in the back of the boot, but none are 13D8 ... its really not good all this caper ... I should have stuck to Mercedes Benz, well you live and learn :(

gireada2005
03-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Meds why you said your car has the problem? as stated in the other topic the cars with the problem have stopped at 36000 your chasis no starts with 60000 so i don't think is affected,check with the dealer as well
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=10&resultString=(VW
i will check my one on tuesday and let you know

DSG4ME
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Meds why you said your car has the problem? as stated in the other topic the cars with the problem have stopped at 36000 your chasis no starts with 60000 so i don't think is affected,check with the dealer as well
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=10&resultString=(VW (http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?whichpage=1&pagesize=10&resultString=%28VW)
i will check my one on tuesday and let you know

It's all very easy to get ones self at it over this, to help put some ppl's mind's at rest, a friend has an 07 Touran DSG with a BKP in it, he's in the 90k bracket now I believe and the only issue's he's had with it other than a service is the starter motor and flywheel broke at around 55k iirc, VW fixed it all FOC under warranty, but as far as injector's and oil pumps go, he's not had any of that, and the cab fleet that run's a lot of Passat's ranging from 55's to 58's according to the driver's don't have any trouble with them either, and these cars get a right old hammering at the hands of various non owning driver's who don't give a toss about the car, so I wouldn't feel like you dated the bird with crabs yet about it, as you may find other than the odd glitch nothing goes wrong with your car's, I know it's a different engine, but the 1.9 TDi auto Skoda Superb I had, cost me an Alternator, 2 CV Boot's, 1 CVJ, and a Battery in the 3 years I owned it, and when I got shot of her the only thing I could say deffo wanted doing was the other CVJ, which at 102k isn't the end of the world, keep your filter's clean, and don't run any oil longer than 12k and you may just find you never needed to worry. hth.

gireada2005
03-05-2010, 10:11 AM
my passat has 40k ,and had only 2 services because it's the long life one on 18k,should i do that on 12k each time or stick with the vw 18k?,the other volvo i had i all the time changed oil (castrol magnatec)at 6-7k and the filters, and i use to do it myself.on the passat i don't know what to do the car is 4 1/2 years and i intend to keep it another 3years at least,should i keep on with the history or do the work my self?,by the way what oil i need to top up time to time -2l diesel 140 bhp sport model:approve:

DSG4ME
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
my passat has 40k ,and had only 2 services because it's the long life one on 18k,should i do that on 12k each time or stick with the vw 18k?,the other volvo i had i all the time changed oil (castrol magnatec)at 6-7k and the filters, and i use to do it myself.on the passat i don't know what to do the car is 4 1/2 years and i intend to keep it another 3years at least,should i keep on with the history or do the work my self?,by the way what oil i need to top up time to time -2l diesel 140 bhp sport model:approve:

At that age keeping a book stamped is a waste of time, what you need to do is keep receipt's for the parts and diy the car, one it will cost a lot less, and two when a car hit's over 6 years old it drops into a value of anything from 1k to 3k, plus you know whats been done and that it has been done, as for oil just look on any oil bottle for the markings of VW 507, keep the fully synthetic oil up, as mixing it with semi has adverse effects on engine seals so I've read, GSF is the best place for parts, and they do Fuchs oil's that will be ok for the engine as well, this longlife stuff was aimed at fleet manager's, the idea is that you lease for 2 yrs and depending on mileage never have to service the car, it's not designed to do the engine or you any favours, they see it as the car will probably do 60k before it plays up, and if it gets to 3 yrs old they can tell you to sod off anyway, so don't think for one minute LLS is a good idea, it's a simple hook to appeal to a bean counter. hth.

johnloaderuk
03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
should i do that on 12k each time or stick with the vw 18k?

I had my last 55reg Passat Sport 2.0 140 TDI from new, always on longlife service, got rid of it at 146k, no engine problems at all, so I'd stick to the manufacturers service intervals. Now on my 7th VW TDI in a row, and never had any engine issues whasoever. Last three all on longlife. Longest one kept to 215k miles.
No point changing oil before it's due unless you have money to burn. Modern fully synthetic oil in modern engines with the latest materials and tolerances aren't like engines and oils of the seventies or even eighties.

Crasher
03-05-2010, 01:11 PM
a friend has an 07 Touran DSG with a BKP in it

A 2007 Touran 140PS 2.0 litre DSG would have a BKD or BMM engine. The BKP engine was only fitted to the Passat 3C from March 2005 to June 2008 and the vulnerable to failure balancer shaft module was only fitted up to approximately the end of August 2005 production so the chain driven balancer shaft unit was only used for the first six months of production on the BKP.

DSG4ME
03-05-2010, 01:23 PM
A 2007 Touran 140PS 2.0 litre DSG would have a BKD or BMM engine. The BKP engine was only fitted to the Passat 3C from March 2005 to June 2008 and the vulnerable to failure balancer shaft module was only fitted up to approximately the end of August 2005 production so the chain driven balancer shaft unit was only used for the first six months of production on the BKP.

Christ, how many different engines do they have, I assumed it was a BKP cos it looks the same as mine under the hood.

Crasher
03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
There are so many engines now it is daft, I am not sure why there are so many variations but the Touran TDI does not have the balancer shaft assembly, just a direct chain drive oil pump.

Meds
04-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi gireada2005 .... I read a thread and my interpretation was that the problem covered vehicles up to a chassis number of ... WVWZZZ3CZ6P070000 (approximately) so that was igniting my concern lol

It would be great if there was a source that states oil pump problems up to this specific number etc, but by what I've read VW aren’t sure themselves.

Though I’ve got to say this site is great for info relating to anything PASSAT!

Think I would have nicked the info off one of Crasher posting? ... incidently Crasher, your avatar is very small and my eye sight ain't what it use to be! ... would it be a TIGER?... flat fronted glacier plate? ... I was in the Armoured Corp many moons ago

Meds
04-05-2010, 04:09 PM
After much phoning round and very helpful advise from a couple of source "I'm lead to believe" .... VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140bhp engines have chain driven pumps till the Chassis change point ... 6E 082000 ...so mine is a chain driven pump unit

Crasher
04-05-2010, 06:14 PM
incidently Crasher, your avatar is very small and my eye sight ain't what it use to be! ... would it be a TIGER?... flat fronted glacier plate? ... I was in the Armoured Corp many moons ago

Tis Tiger 131 in Bovington, the Tiger 1, my favourite tank of all time.

Europa25
04-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Wow, i've never heard of this, but having got a Dec 05 2.0 Tdi , will be keeping the music down a bit now for 'whoosh-watch' !

Why didn't VW just recall these series and replace the pump, rather than let it go as far as catastrophic engine damage :confused:

Got a taxi home the other night, it was a 55 Passat DSG, brilliant guy driving, and said he loves the car, but has had a bit of a catalogue of problems, just on 88k ...

Makes me wonder, as i had higher end Fords for 23 years, and have spent £90 in repairs in that time :D does a badge mean everything ?!?!

Love my passat, but not an empty wallet!

DSG4ME
05-05-2010, 01:31 AM

So that means basically, if you have a 56 onwards plate you shouldn't get oil pump issues?

tia.

Meds
05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
The Tiger had an impressive Gun (AA in origin) ... Krupps manufactured.

Very unreliable, but used in the correct formation and very importantly, "transported to the battle field, not driven in most instances" it, maintained a modicum of reliability.

I've seen the one at the Museum, " is it the one with the jammed turret?" ... you don't realise how big they are till you stand in front of one ... though its not my favourite ... Crusader MK II

The Krupps 88 was as mentioned an AA gun, probably similar to the one the Pope would have used, when he was just following orders

DSG4ME ... check chassis number

rapport25
05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow, i've never heard of this, but having got a Dec 05 2.0 Tdi , will be keeping the music down a bit now for 'whoosh-watch' !

Why didn't VW just recall these series and replace the pump, rather than let it go as far as catastrophic engine damage :confused:

Got a taxi home the other night, it was a 55 Passat DSG, brilliant guy driving, and said he loves the car, but has had a bit of a catalogue of problems, just on 88k ...

Makes me wonder, as i had higher end Fords for 23 years, and have spent £90 in repairs in that time :D does a badge mean everything ?!?!

Love my passat, but not an empty wallet!

Same here. I love my passat, but not an emplty wallet. My car also is a 55 plate with D.S.G.. I need to do some digging as my car only has one sticker in the boot and that was for the fuel pump.

:(:(:(:( have I made a mistake purchasing a VW!!!! My old car a peugeot 406 HDI and was so so reliable I had owned the car for 8yrs and covered in excess of over 200k the only major problem was snapping front coil springs. And fuel pump failure all the rest was the usual wear and tear.

I decided a change to german. I really wanted a 535d and the paasat seemed a more sensible purchase as the price was nealry double for a BMW 55 plate.

I really want to keep the passat as its only covered just under 60k. I was thinking of keeping if for 5 to 8 yrs. But now I'm not so sure. :1zhelp::1zhelp:

newb1e
05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
dont get put off so easily. people who join these forums for a reason - encountered a problem. there are millions out there with a perfectly reliable passat and you could be one of them.

professional drivers such as taxi drivers use these passats for a reason.

rapport25
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
dont get put off so easily. people who join these forums for a reason - encountered a problem. there are millions out there with a perfectly reliable passat and you could be one of them.

professional drivers such as taxi drivers use these passats for a reason.

I love my passat. I have said its the best car I have owned :D:D:D

My only concern is, the list of problems scares the **** out of me. Dont get me wrong I expect a few problems. The main reason I purchased the passat like my 406 is that taxi drivers use them so they must be solid and very reliable :D:D

Crasher
05-05-2010, 01:40 PM
rapport25, PM me your reg number.

rapport25
05-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Crasher, how do I send a pm?:Blush::Blush: I have replied to a few Pms but never sent any :D:D:D

rapport25
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Crasher, I think I have sent p.m please advise? :Blush2::Blush2:

newb1e
05-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Dont get me wrong I expect a few problems.

Before i bought my passat, i was also considering avensis, accord, A4, 3 series and octavia. i went on all of their forums and they all have a serious/expensive issue of some kind. not even the bullet proof brand Lexus is immune to this.

buying a car is a bit of a lottery sometime. you ought to stop worrying what might go wrong and enjoy the car.

if you are that worried, put some money aside per month to fix any potential probs.

click on name then choose send PM.

Crasher
05-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Rapport25, from your chassis number is appears that you have the later gear driven oil pump by about six weeks of production, so I think you can relax although next to the chassis number there is an asterisk that means the change point is vauge.

newb1e, you are well in the clear, yours is a 2007.

rapport25
05-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks Crasher :D:D:D:D.

newb1e
05-05-2010, 05:38 PM
phew thanks.

Passat Parrot
11-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Had exactly the same problem. Oil Pressure warning light came on couple of weeks ago. I came straigt off accelerator and stopped car within a mile or so and shut down engine. (car = 2.0 TDI 140, 65k miles, 5 plate)

Transpires oil pump is knackered due to balancer shaft failure. This also resulted in turbo and new turbo being installed.

I had it done by a independent near Leeds. Cost just over £1K.

I think I've been lucky the engine hasn't need replacing and rebuilding.

Wrote to VW and no joy as done at independent garage. They wouldn't even acknowledge a fault.

Also had 2 new injectors put on in Decmber 2009, and had 3 airbag electrical faults.

First Passat I've had, owned it 18mths, and am in process of getting rid.

Quatrelle
12-05-2010, 07:53 PM
....Wrote to VW and no joy as done at independent garage. They wouldn't even acknowledge a fault....

Strange that they wouldn't acknowledge a fault. My dealer called my car in to do the work.

VW don't like indys, so that's probably the reason, especially if they never serviced the car previously.

darkartist
03-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Im worried after reading this. Just bought a 56 plate with BKP engine. Read through but am unable to work out if mine is affected.

Would be good to know, can anyone help me with this?

Vin - WVWZZZ3CZ6E212624

Gazwould
03-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Y E S !

BKP can be chain or geared , probably geared on that plate so you need to drop the sump and look , then order the right kit .

Do not ignore this serious engineering issue !

darkartist
03-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Ok thanks for replying.

Might have been done already as its just hit 135k.

Gazwould
03-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Nope !

Can go 50K - 400K .

80 - 150K most common .

darkartist
03-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Oh no.

So chain is ok but geared needs the longer hex 100mm?

Gazwould
03-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Chain has a tensioner that fails and the 77mm oil pump drive issue .

Geared just the 77mm .

You will probably need Kit 9 .

Oil Pumps - KMB Parts Direct (http://www.kmbpartsdirect.co.uk/oil_pumps.html#kit9)

It's not just a key as it's primarily a balancer shaft keyway issue.

darkartist
03-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Ok, thanks for the good advice.

Wondering if there is any way of checking if its been done already without taking it apart completely.

Gazwould
03-06-2018, 10:44 PM
Only aftermarket invoice or drop sump undo circlip and withdraw key .

DMitch16
04-06-2018, 01:21 AM
Only aftermarket invoice or drop sump undo circlip and withdraw key .

Note on sump - it has no proprietary rubber / metal gasket - needs to be sealed with something like Dirko grey high temperature sealant for VWs.

PS Mine rounded the shaft hole and 77mm hex key bar at 148k but the turbo was unhappy for a few months before I lost oil pressure. Fortunately it happened the first 1/4 mile of my morning journey so a cold engine which helped avoid any excess heat which quickly leads to engine seizure when oil is not circulating.

darkartist
05-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Ok, thanks Gents.

Picked it up today, all seems ok apart from the state of the oil. Even though its a long life it looks like this guy hasn't changed the oil or filter for 30k!?! Black as tar. Im driving it very gently and cringing. My mechanic can deal with the pump issue and will sort the oil at the same time.

Ant ideas on the gearbox oil change interval. Its a 6 speed, and I don't think its DSG.

Gazwould
05-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Seal for life VAG BS .

G 052 171 .

Fuchs Titan Sintofluid fe sae 75W .

Crasher
05-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Darkartist, your car WVWZZZ3CZ6E212624 was built 29/03/2006 with the early 77mm spur gear system so it would be worth while at least taking the sump off and fitting a new key or “carrier” as VW call it but you now have to buy the 100mm version 03G 115 281 E at £3.85+VAT and cut it down, it is possible to make the key a bit longer and I have known some people set them in chemical metal but I won’t do that as it does not run perfectly square and does need to move about or it can stress the pump. I have heard about some people centre punching the key once on each flat to increase its grip, that may work. If the old key shows a lot of wear and the new key very baggy in the balancer then it would be wise to replace the balancer system or maybe have it rebuilt by one of the companies advertising this service.

darkartist
06-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Ok, thanks Crasher, really appreciate it.

So the new key (100mm) will need cutting down to 77mm or should it be longer?

Gazwould
06-06-2018, 12:41 PM
77 otherwise the circlip won't fit .

darkartist
06-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Ok Crasher, thank you.

Spoke to my mechanic. He is confused as to why he needs to order the 100mm and cut it when they list a 77mm one.

Whats the difference?

Crasher
06-06-2018, 08:33 PM
It showed it as being obsolete on the system I can use at home so I “assumed” you would have to cut down the later one, “modify with workshop equipment” as VW put it either that or being ill, a couple of decent excuses. The new number for the 77mm is 03G 115 281 F at £4.68. I have one on my desk but I have never used one, I will only fit complete new assemblies or the job can go away.

darkartist
07-06-2018, 08:36 AM
Ok Crasher, with you on that. While replacing the key, might as well go the extra mile and do the balance shaft. I have seen some from an engineering company called DPF Solutions. Do you know anyone who tried these?

Im also interested in what VW did to rectify the issue on the 05-06 models. Did they then produce the 100mm key with accomodating balance shaft. If they did I was thinking is it worth finding a scrapped donor car that would have a used balance shaft to fit my BKP.

DMitch16
07-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Ok Crasher, with you on that. While replacing the key, might as well go the extra mile and do the balance shaft. I have seen some from an engineering company called DPF Solutions. Do you know anyone who tried these?

Im also interested in what VW did to rectify the issue on the 05-06 models. Did they then produce the 100mm key with accomodating balance shaft. If they did I was thinking is it worth finding a scrapped donor car that would have a used balance shaft to fit my BKP.

VW did nothing but deny all knowledge of a problem - engines up to 2009 could still be affected, certainly in the range of 06 to 08 PD 2.0 litre with balance unit whether chain or gear driven.

darkartist
07-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Right. Very wrong from a consumers point of view on how they are able to sell a self-destructing engine.
I think I will buy the upgraded shaft and hex from an engineering firm and get it done.
As its done 135k already it possible someone might have done something already and I don't have the invoice. We will see.
Would be nice to know if anyone else has completed this fix and how it went.

DMitch16
07-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Right. Very wrong from a consumers point of view on how they are able to sell a self-destructing engine.
I think I will buy the upgraded shaft and hex from an engineering firm and get it done.
As its done 135k already it possible someone might have done something already and I don't have the invoice. We will see.
Would be nice to know if anyone else has completed this fix and how it went.

A lot have had this done, some DIY like myself (twice - be careful what engineering firm is used as there is still a wrong way to remanufacture the shafts - a drilled hole and tapped inserts Helicoil style is not good enough) others via independent garages and some even via the dealer who will swap the whole balance unit and leave you very much poorer.

Every B6 owner on here with an affected 2.0 litre tdi engine with balance unit fitted is recommended to check the modification has been done by fitting a re-engineered shaft and longer 100mm key bar. KMB Direct is one of the more established suppliers of the parts needed but others are now springing up and doing the same proper re-engineering process on existing shafts.

darkartist
07-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Ok mate. Thinking of going for this;

Audi A4 A6 / VW Passat 2.0TDI Oil Pump Balance Shaft - DPF Solutions Sheffield (http://www.dpfsolutionsheffield.co.uk/product/audi-a4-a6-vw-passat-2-0tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft/)

Unlimited lifetime/mileage warranty. Looks welded and decent.

DMitch16
07-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Ok mate. Thinking of going for this;

Audi A4 A6 / VW Passat 2.0TDI Oil Pump Balance Shaft - DPF Solutions Sheffield (http://www.dpfsolutionsheffield.co.uk/product/audi-a4-a6-vw-passat-2-0tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft/)

Unlimited lifetime/mileage warranty. Looks welded and decent.

Similar service to KMB Direct. Important thing is that the re-engineering involves spark eroding the original metal and the high temperature cure of a larger bush in the bigger hole so that it effectively heat welds into the shaft instead of having inserts tapped (as smaller inserts tend to be too slack for the VW harder 100mm key leading to further vibration and wear).

Are you fitting this yourself?

darkartist
07-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Thanks Mitch.

No, bit much for me. I have a friend who worked for audi for 20 years and is running independant now. He seems confident.

Any advise on fitting?

DMitch16
07-06-2018, 04:35 PM
Thanks Mitch.

No, bit much for me. I have a friend who worked for audi for 20 years and is running independant now. He seems confident.

Any advise on fitting?

He should be capable enough - you will need new balance unit mounting bolts (there are 8 including the one through the oil pump - different sizes), a new pick seal unless the old one looks ok, a new circlip to retain the key bar in the pump hole and the balance shaft alignment chock which keeps the shafts in position when refitting the balance unit. This piece is sometimes contained in the VW timing lock tool sets which is also needed. The balance unit is heavy so a second pair of hands useful. When you split the balance unit to access the shafts you can reuse those bolts safely enough (they just need to be quite tight but not overtight). Just a bit of patience and a couple of hours.

I have the 16v VW engine manual for Tdi engines (VWs own one) if you would like a copy as it may help. Just PM me your email address.

BNC
24-05-2021, 05:36 PM
He should be capable enough - you will need new balance unit mounting bolts (there are 8 including the one through the oil pump - different sizes), a new pick seal unless the old one looks ok, a new circlip to retain the key bar in the pump hole and the balance shaft alignment chock which keeps the shafts in position when refitting the balance unit. This piece is sometimes contained in the VW timing lock tool sets which is also needed. The balance unit is heavy so a second pair of hands useful. When you split the balance unit to access the shafts you can reuse those bolts safely enough (they just need to be quite tight but not overtight). Just a bit of patience and a couple of hours.
May I ask... do you need to take the cambelt off to do this? I'm thinking of having the job done, but I'd like to have the cambelt and water pump done at some stage, would it be advisable to have both done at the same time?

DMitch16
24-05-2021, 08:50 PM
May I ask... do you need to take the cambelt off to do this? I'm thinking of having the job done, but I'd like to have the cambelt and water pump done at some stage, would it be advisable to have both done at the same time?

No just the timing covers to insert the timing lock tools. You only lock the timing at TDC to preserve the relationship between the crank and balance shafts as the shafts are weighted and rest flat in the unit when the car is at TDC. Then you have to reseal the sump properly near the end of the balance shaft job.

It can be an opportunity to change the TB and water pump but there is still 3/4 of the timing belt job to do as not much comes off from that area and the engine mount still needs to be removed if I recall. The TB interval is 95k for a PD engine or 4 years whichever comes first. My first TB belt was overdue at 121k and then changed 4 years later at 185k. Have only done 40k on the 3rd belt so far in 2 and a half years and just a further 1600 miles in the preceding (pandemic) year.