PDA

View Full Version : Automatic in the snow

leehal
25-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Maybe a little premature on this one, my last automatic (Touran) had a winter button, I found this was great as it basically limited the revs and made driving in icy/snowy conditions much easier. I don't have this function on my A4 and was wondering what to do, never driven a standard automatic in the winter, for once I may be wishing I had a clutch!

Any comments?

robtt09
25-11-2009, 10:54 AM
If you have front wheel drive then go to local tyre depot and get some Vredstein all weather tyres fitted at the front.That will help enormously.Save the "summer tyres" you have on for the spring. If you have quattro then you should have little problem but again "all weather" tyres will make life easier still! I am getting them soon on my 3.00tdi A4 auto soon.
Otherwise remember you can get up snowy inclines easier in reverse if all else fails.Good luck

pitch3110
25-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Good point......

That's me sh#ting myself for when the fluffy stuff comes.

Dtom
26-11-2009, 02:04 PM
If you have a FWD or RWD automatic then stay at home when it snows.

David

leehal
26-11-2009, 06:24 PM
If you have a FWD or RWD automatic then stay at home when it snows.

David

Any chance you could elaborate and say how things are in the snow?

GolferPete
27-11-2009, 07:21 AM
I think that he is just admitting his personal inadequacies!

Ok, so it requires a different to summer driving, but you can still knock the gear lever left into manual and determine which gear you are in, thereby effectively making it a manual.

What he therefore appears to be saying is that he can't drive a manual either and that you must have 4WD to drive on snow! Load of poppycock!