PDA

View Full Version : Which A5 for a wedding present?

slimbaldy
23-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Getting hitched at Christmas and the future wife has offered to trade my A3 3.2 for an A5, But which one? the 3.0 tdi quattro looks tempting and an s5 would attract too much attention!
Any thoughts or recomendations would be welcome.

Guest 2
23-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Nice for some!

I have the 3.0TDi in my A6 and its great, easy on fuel (if you drive properly :D), great for overtaking and you can blow everyone off at the lights!

I have been looking at A5 Sportbacks lately and they look awesome in white.

Whatever you do, go for the Sport or S-Line because imo, SE's look rubbish compared to them.

Chris

Scootmien
23-11-2009, 07:02 PM
The 3.0 TDi Quattro is an excellent choice. The other option would be the 2.0 TFSi, which comes in a lot cheaper. OK, it's not as fast but the mpg is up there with the 3.0 diesel; it's still reasonably quick though.

It seems that those two are the ones that people seem to go for the most. You have the 1.8 and 3.2 petrol and the 2.7 diesel too but they just don't seem to have the aficionados that the others do.

I agree with the poster above on choosing the Sport or the S-Line over the base or SE models. Only the S-Line comes with DRLs now, they are a £1000(ish) option on the other models. The Sport is lowered 20mm from standard, the S-Line 30mm from standard. The Sport and above come with 18" wheels as standard (base and SE models come with 17" wheels which look ridiculously tiny) which although very comfortable, just seem a tad bit small in my opinion. The ride quality is fine on the S-Line with 19" wheels by the way (also on S5 with 20" too).

You also have the Sportback model, which personally I loathe, but that does givve you more leg/headroom in the back and four doors. However, my opinion of the A/S5 is as a two door coupe and I think you lose some of that styling by giving it two more doors and angling the rear more. It loses the classic coupe looks. Of course, this is just my opinion and I know many people disagree with me.

As to the colour, i'm not going to go there! What is one man's meat is another man's poison. Personal preference and your gut instinct in this department is rarely wrong.

Of course, options inside are a different matter! :D

Hope that helps some?

Feel free to PM me if you want more info, I looked extensively at the range before buying mine.

tlionhart
24-11-2009, 02:19 PM
from 1.8 to 2.0L there is only a slight diff in the price.

I'd go for 2.0 s-line. :D Get the lights as standard and trim upgrades in the price. (more sporty look)
If your going for the 3.0L tdi you may as well opt for the S5 :D

Bratty
24-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Why not kick the arrse out of it and get the cabriolet?

Dunk

tlionhart
24-11-2009, 06:29 PM
and like most xmas's the weather is always sunny here :)

In fact, i agree with the above post. The coupe is too common now! Consider the cabriolet? You could get a demo cab with everything on it for a bargain price. Like £32k...the car would be worth £40+k with the extras it comes with.

slimbaldy
24-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Only problem with a rag top is well a few, I'm bald - sunburn, chronic hayfever in summer, and i work in a quarry where the dust would make a proper mess of a fabric roof......tempting as it is....

Getting all sorts of ideas on different cars now! and heads starting to spin.

:D

tlionhart
24-11-2009, 06:51 PM
are you going to get a new one? If you are it wont be here on time for christmas...

unless you;

-ex demo
-cancelled order, with some or less spec or colour that you may want/not want.

If you ordered a new A5, your looking at March/April. But the time goes by quick! (ordered my car last crimbo)

Bratty
27-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Alternatively contact Top Gear; I am sure they will be able to set-up a challange that will produce a vehicle that will inevitably stop traffic in your local village (on your wedding day??) or blow it up at your place of work (ie. your Quarry!!). Audi A5 CAB in stretch-limo form (to fit all your guests in;))

Dunk

slimbaldy
27-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Do you know what the really sad thing is? I drove an A5 2.0 petrol today at work and to be honest it was dissapointing. I just love my 3.2 A3. Theres going to be quite a lot of money spent to get the right one!

As for the top gear idea - Thankfully i'm getting married abroad and the actual transport after the ceremony is called 'Ellie' yep she's an elephant apparantly......:biglaugh:

And Top Gear is it me or is it becoming unwatchable! apart from the V10 R8 which gave me a tingly sensation. Obviously the future second Mrs Slimbaldy will have to be a bit better off......:D

Bratty
30-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Make sure if you are hiring an "Ellie" in Sri-Lanka or Thailand that you do not go self-drive!! as you might have to do the local driving test first, bit like our motorbike test but much harder to pick the beast when lying on its side;).

Good luck with the wedding and instead of calling your misses the future second Mrs Slimbaldy, once your married you can introduce her as "The Current Mrs Slimbaldy".

Dunk