PDA

View Full Version : Question Power Steering Fault

Witty
23-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Could do with some help here, get an intermittent fault on starting from cold varing in length from 5-30 secs. (Ibiza Sport 130 Tdi)

Checked the Fluid level and it appears low to me, i.e you can see the base of the casing (the filter looks grotty to) however where do you fill it up to? I can see no markings to incidcate min/max, do I just fill it and allow for the displacment of the filter/cap?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Have also heard could be battery related so will bang the optimate on it for a few days while I am away just out of interst.

Cheers

½cwt
10-12-2009, 11:41 AM
My wife's is showing teh same fault in our 53 plate 130TDi Sport.

Any ideas out there?

Witty
10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Hi after doing much reading on this, decided I would try charging the battery as suggested elsewhere on here before spending loads of dosh.

Put it on the Optimate I had for my Classic car for a few days and it's been great ever since.

On this topic, if you remove the top from your PS fluid res (on front of engine in centre?) how much fluid is in it? have you any markers to indicate? mine doesn't and looks vey empty.

Ian

½cwt
11-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Optimate? Some sort of battery charger I assume?

½cwt
12-12-2009, 12:38 AM
I have this reply from a PM I sent to Crasher:

"Could be a low battery or a faulty pump. The reservoir is under the battery which you will have to remove to access. I suggest a fault code read first."

It's the direction I'm going to head in.

Witty
12-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Yep your right nothing posh just a deep cycle slow charger that monitors battery adn conditions. I suspect that any good quality charger would do the job.

Thanks for the info from Crasher, I've been looking in the wrong hole:-D!