PDA

View Full Version : quick question for the tec heads

minty0_10
23-11-2009, 01:58 PM
im mad bouncing mad :zx11::zx11::zx11: some of you may have rear that i had my car serviced a couple of weeks ago when the garage owner said the turbo was about to go.

well since I've had it back the rear windows have been misting up i thought i had a blocked Pentium chamber or something like that,

anyway yesterday i noticed that the rear foot well passenger side is soaking wet :aargh4:

i think I've read on here that water could get in via the pollen filter and run down into the rear foot wells via the heating ducks is this right?

anyway I've just pulled the large cover off that covers the battery under that is the pollem filter im guessing that should have a lid on it?

well mines hasn't and the new filter is soaking saying that it looks rather dirty to me witch makes me more madning as i was charged for a new one :zx11:

lastly the scuttle panel under the wipers has a large crack running through it.

i cant explain at the moment how im feeling :zx11::zx11::zx11:

apart from my other questions am i aloud to name and shame the garage here?

zollaf
23-11-2009, 02:10 PM
i think your first port of call is to CALMLY go back to the garage and tell them of what you have found, and see what they have to say about it.

passat 130 tdi
23-11-2009, 02:10 PM
no cover , only the large cover that runs the length of bulkhead,otherwise it wont suck air in.

Crasher
23-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Be careful about saying the filter is black, there is a carbon impregnated version that I have had people accuse me of not changing before. The scuttle trim is so easy to break it is stupid, I have had two new ones crack on me when trying to gingerly fit them and the filter cover does have a habit of allowing water to drip onto the filter.

minty0_10
23-11-2009, 02:40 PM
so there should be a cover over the pollum filter?
a previous post said there,s not?

if water did get past the filter would that then run back into the passenger rear foot well?

Norman vwp
23-11-2009, 04:50 PM
No there is no cover over the filter only the large cover that goes the complete length of the bulkhead as allready explained by passat 130 tdi member

minty0_10
23-11-2009, 11:50 PM
ok so if water get passed the pollum filter is it possible for it to end up in the passenger rear foot well?

passat 130 tdi
24-11-2009, 12:13 AM
yes, it runs over pollen filter and down to the vents under the seats, especially if you park facing uphill. :biglaugh:

minty0_10
24-11-2009, 12:17 AM
ok that explains a lot :beerchug:

there,s fire works tomorrow :zx11:

:D

24-11-2009, 07:02 PM
No offence to garages but service your car yourself and then you know for a fact that everything has been changed. It is a easy job and im sure if you look through the how 2's there will b a write up. The other advantage of this is that you get 2 know your car alot better. Think of all those pennies you can save :D

zollaf
24-11-2009, 07:09 PM
an easy job is it ???? yeah right.
my favourite jobs in the world are cars that have been well looked after and serviced by an owner that hasnt got a clue what they are doing. its so nice taking their money for something they have done wrong. it may be fairly straightforward to carry out a basic service, but you need tools and time for a start. some people would prefer to spend their spare time not working on their own car.

minty0_10
24-11-2009, 10:32 PM
ive always serviced my cars myself but when i bought this car a couple of years ago it came with a fsh so i thought i,d keep it going, but after this i,l be doing it myself from now on.

to top it off just got into the car at work all windows steamed up with water reversed back straight into the works mini bus smashed rear bumper and big dent in boot :zx11:

my own fault but cant help thinking if the windows had been clear......

25-11-2009, 08:33 AM
an easy job is it ???? yeah right.
my favourite jobs in the world are cars that have been well looked after and serviced by an owner that hasnt got a clue what they are doing. its so nice taking their money for something they have done wrong. it may be fairly straightforward to carry out a basic service, but you need tools and time for a start. some people would prefer to spend their spare time not working on their own car.
Take it you own a garage then lol. Come on service take half a hour to do and it aint exactly rocket science. Im not telling the guy to do a head gasket or cambelt change. Tools needed, not alot really few spanners couple of screwdrivers, ramps and chain rench. Bet you pay for the tools after 2 services. Anyway I'm only trying to help the guy so take a chill pill and relax :biglaugh:. You even said yourself a basic service is to do. Can see this turning nasty :beerchug:

25-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Ment easy to do. Should learn to write properly realy :biglaugh:

Y90USF
25-11-2009, 09:49 AM
i agree with 808 car owners should do a basic service themselves to get to know there car better!!!! a basic service is one of the easiest things to do not much could go wrong unless your totally useless with things like that.

zollaf
28-11-2009, 11:46 AM
i fully support anybody who is prepared to look after their own car and to get their hands mucky. a basic service is fairly straightforward and doesnt require many tools. but if doing so, make sure you do everything that is required. over the years ive seen so many home serviced cars, but the owner has never changed the brake fluid or antifreeze, or they have put new pads onto dangerously thin discs to name but a few. the car may be motd once a year, and they think this is a good enough check, but it isnt. know your limits, thats my point. if you do do your own oil change though, make sure you dispose of the old oil and filter properly. pouring it down the toilet isnt acceptable. and as for getting nasty, GRRRRRR. is that nasty enough, cos its the best i can do.:D

28-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Lol. U now the bit about taking money of people who just screwed there car up. Guess what i just did:zx11: check the car wont start thread. Any help would be grearly appreciated GRRRRRRRRR

zollaf
28-11-2009, 05:36 PM
uh oh. i see crasher has directed you in the right direction though.