PDA

View Full Version : Question Can I get by with the Cheap shocks?

maynardGK
23-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I have a 1988 Audi 80 Quattro that promises to run from one "minor" repair to the next without much hassle, it is high mileage but well kept, now it needs shocks for a new lease on life; I've recently replaced the arm bushings.
I see there are cheap (KYB) strut inserts competing with the recommended
bilstein; $49 .vs. $115 for the fronts, $68 .vs $145 on the back.
Q1: will the ride be substantially better with the better shocks?
Q2: Will the better shocks last a lot longer?
Q3: how much shop time per shock should I expect? The procedure looks pretty simple, but I don't have a location to do it myself.

I can't hardly justify the repair with the bilstein shocks, but will the KYB parts
be trashed too soon to bother?

RJS_90q
29-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I have a 1988 year 90 quattro that I've owned for 12+ years. When I purchased the car, I fitted Bilstein sports shock absorbers on standard springs (to keep the standard height and spring rate). The Bilsteins are excellent and even after the 12 years (100k miles) the shocks are still in good order - no leaks etc...

For Q1) The Bilstein sports shock are excellent - much better than the standard car was.
For Q2) See above, 12+ years so far
For Q3) difficult to say as sometimes removing siezed on bolts can take extra time

I would say the Bilsteins as they are superb and in my view worth the extra.

It would be good to hear from others that have installed Bilsteins or KYB's

Regards,
Bob

zollaf
29-11-2009, 08:54 PM
ive recently put some kyb's on the front of my 16v. i went for the top end ones, but i cant remember what they cost. i didnt change the original springs, but the handling is superb. the rally boys like the kyb shocks as they are cheap but good.

scotty33
19-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi

KYB = Kayaba make a lot of the OE suspension on Japanese cars. I have used KYB shocks without any issues. Edit I have used Kayaba SPRINGS not shocks. For what it's worth they look a lot better designed than the G-max springs they replaced.

chariot2
05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi

KYB = Kayaba make a lot of the OE suspension on Japanese cars. I have used KYB shocks without any issues

Yes, they're ok - way better than a certain UK make - but Bilstein best