PDA

View Full Version : Missing Horn

Alan Griggs
04-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys,
Having just joined, and trawling through a few threads, I came across one from Oct last year I think, with the same subject matter re missing Horn.
There was no reply to it. It struck me as strange that the 1999 golf I have privately purchased has the same part missing. It was one of the things that was overlooked when buying, Should I be worried? Does it point to an obvious (not to me) circumstance that the car has been through?
Gently concerned

Alan

shooey88
04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
having no horn is an MOT failure...so if car has mot it should of had a horn at the time of test. i know the horns are common to be faulty...siezing in the diagprham. hitting with hammer normally solves it. you really cant find one? maybe the car had an after market upgraded horn that the customer wanted to keep and put on his new car maybe? is the wiring there and connections to the horn there still?

Alan Griggs
04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Shooey88,
the connector still seems to be there(little connector visible when taking off the right hand vent/when looking at the bonnet). So you don't think this could be because the alarm system is faulty or the air bag isn't there?

Regards

Alan

Sam
04-05-2007, 03:01 PM
There should be a horn on each side behind each lower front grille.

Horn - Fanfare tone - low tone - 3B0951223

Horn - Fanfare tone - high tone - 6N0951101

The alarm system also uses a similar horn but from the looks of things this is an "electronic siren"

There is a possibility of a faulty alarm system in the future.

As has been mentioned, having no horn is an MOT failure.

Alan Griggs
04-05-2007, 05:01 PM
mycarsavw,
Are the numbers after lo and hi tone horns Part numbers or frequency?

But thanks for the reply visits to the breakers yard this weekend.

Regards

Alan

Sam
04-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Sorry, they are VW part numbers

The frequencies, from memory are 400 & 500 mhz

01V5
10-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey this is probably going to be as stupid question, but i have an 01 Bora and while the mail horn is a good, powerful blow horn the alarm horn is a dinghy little 'Beep beep' type sound that sounds like it has had water go in it... why is this so, and is it possible to remove this horn and connect a siren or something similar to it instead?

Much thanks

Sam
10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
You could, but why?

First you have to find it (not so hard), then remove it, then wire up a new horn.

When it does go off, no one listens anyway!

I changed my alarm tone to the German tone using VAG-COM so it now makes a low drone electronic sounding "meeeep meeeeep" rather than the usual high pitched "beep beep beep".

Eshrules
10-05-2007, 11:03 AM
You could, but why?

First you have to find it (not so hard), then remove it, then wire up a new horn.

When it does go off, no one listens anyway!

I changed my alarm tone to the German tone using VAG-COM so it now makes a low drone electronic sounding "meeeep meeeeep" rather than the usual high pitched "beep beep beep".

sam... how did you change it in vagcom?

buster
10-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Hey this is probably going to be as stupid question, but i have an 01 Bora and while the mail horn is a good, powerful blow horn the alarm horn is a dinghy little 'Beep beep' type sound that sounds like it has had water go in it... why is this so, and is it possible to remove this horn and connect a siren or something similar to it instead?

Much thanks

I had trouble with my alarm going off all of the time and asked Poole Audi why is was so quiet.

It was something to do with German law which states that you musn't disturb the peace by having it too loud?

Sam
10-05-2007, 12:56 PM
sam... how did you change it in vagcom?

I'm clever ;)

But seriously, you have to change the country code of the alarm tone - from memory there are 4 or 5 options - UK, Germany, Europe, North America and another one.

They all sound the same except the Germany setting.

Go to 46 - Cent. Conv
Then 10 Adaptation
And I think I just worked my way through the list.

Best thing to do is be aware of what you're changing and change it back if you're unsure - I spent a good few hours just trying things - geek...me?

nicfw
26-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I will have to get VAG COM. Changing the country code to obtain a different horn sound is seriously excellent information. But what else gets changed when you alter the country code? just asking - and how do you know the effects of that change if its not going to be audible or visible?

Sam
31-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I will have to get VAG COM. Changing the country code to obtain a different horn sound is seriously excellent information. But what else gets changed when you alter the country code? just asking - and how do you know the effects of that change if its not going to be audible or visible?

Nothing else changes as it is purely Alarm sounds that you alter.

You can test the tones using VAG-COM too :D

creedxup
20-02-2008, 02:27 PM
having no horn is an MOT failure...so if car has mot it should of had a horn at the time of test. i know the horns are common to be faulty...siezing in the diagprham. hitting with hammer normally solves it. you really cant find one? maybe the car had an after market upgraded horn that the customer wanted to keep and put on his new car maybe? is the wiring there and connections to the horn there still?

Cheers shooey88,

My low tone horn wasn't working on my 1998 passat,I was just about to buy another, but tried your tip of giving it a tap with a hammer and it now works just fine.

Chris