PDA

View Full Version : Question insurance / mods

phase4
22-11-2009, 05:45 PM
which mods do you have to notify your insurance company about ie: bodykits,exhaust,wheels.if i were to fit a bodykit like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200274209686&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

would i have to tell my insurance company?

Borab0y
23-11-2009, 01:06 AM
You should inform your insurance of any modifications you make to the car

So yes, if fitting that kit you should tell them, probably wont make alot if any difference in your premium and if you crash it they will probably only replace with original parts but its better than them saying your not covered cos you hadn't declared it.

nanafagis
23-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Try phoning your insurer and ask a) if they will still insure your car with aftermarket parts .......and if they do.....b) whether or not they will cover your aftermarket bits, or just replace with a standard part. I got insured by swiftcover under greenlight and they were very good. They cover you for a like for like replacement on aftermarket bits and bobs and were cheaper than other companies that i found

bez101
23-11-2009, 10:56 PM
u realy should tell them they can refuse to pay out on a fault accident
and think again bout that kit iv seen it first hand a few times it will cost you more in labour to get it fitted its a shocking fit and looks cheap iv seen and fitted not to my car tho go for the gbmh or vortex nade for the audi fits perfect

Ben
23-11-2009, 11:03 PM
if i were to fit a bodykit like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200274209686&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Are you mad? Do you want to ruin your car and be laughed at by your friends?

Fit OEM or ABT or leave it as standard.

neil w
23-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Definitely tell them about any and all mods, we've had cases recently where people have had RTC's on their way to work. the insurance companies have been requesting copies of the Collision reports and when they've found out that the cover is for social ,domestic and pleasure AND DOES NOT cover commuting they have invalidated the persons insurance.
Also everyone be aware that the law has changed regarding driving other persons cars on you own insurance. it used to be that if you had the cover you could drive anybody elses car on your insurance and have third party liability insurance.
NOT any more if that persons car does not have its own policy of insurance in force even if your policy gives cover to drive any vehicle YOU WILL BE DRIVING WITH NO INSURANCE. You'll find that little gem hidden in the small print somewhere.
They will try their level best to weasel their way out of paying especially if there is a third party claim involved