PDA

View Full Version : Mud flaps

tonybear
22-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi everyone.

I've had my CC for just over two weeks now and as the weather has changed I've noticed that the tyres throw up a lot of road muck and spread it generously over a surprisingly wide area of the sides of the car!

As such I was considering buying the mudflaps but at £195 supplied and fitted I want to make sure that they're going to be effective.

Does anyone here have them fitted and if so can they tell me how good they are, are they worth having?

TIA,

Tony

johnloaderuk
27-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I have a standard Passat Sport (not CC), and have had mud flaps fitted from new. Where I live they make a hugh difference, and I wouldn't be without them. It's amazing how much dirt/debris they collect, which would otherwise have covered the side of the car. Whether they're worth the cost is a matter of opinion, but my new Highline Plus is due for delivery by Christmas, with mudflaps.
Maybe if you live in a town/city they wouldn't do so much, but you can always remove them. Try a breaker to see if you can get some nearly new ones much cheaper.

gamichea
28-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Agree with John. I too am a rural dweller and they have been well worthwhile on my Passat Sport saloon.

My CC GT is in transit from Emden right now and I will be fitting it with mudflaps ASAP after delivery. The wheels will be coming off anyway to be given a good dose of protection and some copper grease on the hub faces to deter the wheels from sticking to the hubs.

bf47
10-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Check ebay out-there is a guy listed as being in the U.S (wes9art) selling NEW VW originals full set (4) £48 + £10 delivery. came in yesterday from Poland!-VW box + instructions -flaps with vw codes in molding on insides-fitting them in the morning.
Update
Fitted this morning-a couple of hours - as I cleaned up each alloy at the same time (they need to be removed to fit flaps)

Couple of pointers-screws you take out are replaced with slightly longer ones
Metal retaining clip (for front flap tab that bends inwards round arch -pic 11 on instructions) goes INSIDE channels that are in the plastic piece. This is not that obvious if light is crap when you are doing this and you could mangle this piece.
Rear drivers side flap screw in pic 7/8/9 has a plastic shroud behind it (unlike the passenger side shown in the instructions) makes attaching the nut fiddly.

Feel the dealer pricing for this is outrageous and can confirm these were genuine , new VW parts that are actually really good quality (for mudflaps!)
Can recommend seller

Difficulty 5/10 -jacking the car safely and manhandling the wheels were the only awkward bits