PDA

View Full Version : Dare I ask Sharan drivers for help with my Galaxy??

bodgerd
04-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi all, this is my very first posting, so excuse any errors..

I have just bought a 55 reg 130bhp Zetec Galaxy (OK, OK, so I screwed-up and bought a Ford) with just 8000 miles which generally I'm really pleased with. One really annoying "feature" I have come across is a loud wind noise coming from the drivers window. I just wondered if this was common to the Sharan's as well?

The Problem: Driving at anything over 30mph results in a whistling/"wind noise" which appears to come from the drivers window area.

Things I've Tried so Far: As I bought the Galaxy from a Ford main dealer, it has been back in 5 times so far. The technicians agree they can also hear the fault (which rules "me" out), they have replaced the "outer door seal", re-sealed the front quarter-light window seal, put masking tape around the windscreen, mirror, roof bars, all door "joints/seals", checked all grommets around the pedals, etc, ruled out the internal vents. They even used an ultrasonic tool which apparently they use to identify water leaks. They have also checked all the seals, and can't locate any gaps. They can't think of anything else to try, but agree the problem hasn't been affected by all the various tests they have carried-out. They claim to have checked their internal database for similar problems and can't find any reference to this issue. I find this strange, as I have found a number of similar frustrations on other sites with the same issue!

Other things I've tried: I tried taping up all the joints around the drivers wing mirror - no difference. I tried driving down the motorway and pulling the front door inwards by pulling at various points around the drivers window - no difference. I can't seem to affect the noise by anything I try from inside the car.

I'm begining to think this is a "design feature", or something caused by the air flow around the wing mirror, but this doesn't explain why it doesn't happen on the passenger side. Please can anyone help me with this, as I don't know what else to try? Anyone else got this problem?

In their desperation, Ford suggested I contact VW !!!!

Thanks guys

bodgerd!

Sam
04-05-2007, 10:12 AM
This was an issue on, I think the later model Passats with the inbuilt indicators in the door mirrors.

I think from memory its the air passing over the gap between the door mirror and the indicator.

Clear tape over this gap should solve the problem.

Again from memory, there was a TSB (technical service bulletin) for this very problem, whether it affected the Ford range I don't know.

Try the tape thing, then if it works, demand Ford pay me ;)

bodgerd
04-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Sam, thanks for this advice, the Galaxy doesn't have indicators in the mirror, but I've tried the "taping trick". Ford taped all around the mirror, roof bars, door seals, bonnet, head lights, windscreen, etc - still the same noise!

Sam
04-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Sam, thanks for this advice, the Galaxy doesn't have indicators in the mirror, but I've tried the "taping trick". For taped all around the mirror, roof bars, door seals, bonnet, head lights, windscreen, etc - still the same noise!

Bugger :(

I thought it had door mirror indicators - bugger again :(

How about taping the area between door mirror and door?

Does it have roof bars?

Are the end caps of the bars seated properly?

Is the place where you'd usually add a roof bar sealed off?

Are the strips around the windscreen (towards the outer edges) seated properly?

Are the wipers returning to the correct place?

bodgerd
04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Sam, thanks again for the suggestions. Ford used 4 inch masking tape when they tried their investigations and they pretty much covered the drivers side in tape! The bit about "taping the area between mirror and door" is interesting! I get the noise even with the drivers window down, and tried putting my hand in this gap, but it didn't seem to alter things - although it must be said that as I was driving through country lanes at 40mph at the time, it was a tricky and possibly not conclusive operation! Re the roof bars, yes it does have those, and again these have all been inspected (and taped-up) by Ford. Windscreen seals also taped-up. Wipers returning OK, and even tried seeing if having the wipers going when I get the noise altered things - no change unfortunately! Thanks for trying though!

Ford suggested I contact VW. Do you know of an easy way for me to try the VW technical team to see if they have a TSB for this with the Sharan. Maybe even Seat, as they are all basically the VW at the core!

Sam
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
It's like hitting a wall, I'm all out of ideas, sorry.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8197

The above post has contact details for the relevant departments.

I'd be interested to see their reply - if it's beaten Ford and VAG solve it, I'd have renewed hope in them all over again.

RickT
06-05-2007, 12:14 AM
I will have a word witha friend of mine that ran a Galaxy for 230k miles..(it was a vehicle in his fleet for airport transfers) and see id he had any issues..

one quick fix in the meantime is to set the radio to volume 20! :biglaugh:

I will get back to you.

RickT

RickT
06-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi.. just found the below forum...

(as your a FORD man :biglaugh: .. i thought i would post the link.... ((dont normally like referring members else where but this other forum may be some help to you regarding your issue.

(theres a thread on here regarding wind noise)

http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?showtopic=12723&pid=104599&mode=threaded&start=

Ps... we hope to see you back here soon!!!

RickT

bodgerd
06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for your help RickT, much appreciated. I totally suspect it IS just a case of living with it. I can see lots of other threads on different forums about the same issue, but unfortunely no resolutions....yet! If you think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks again for your help!

gary1
06-05-2007, 11:24 PM
you could check that the windscreen has not been changed recently if it has it may not been correctly fitted it can cause wind noise also check the scuttle panel has been replaced correctly to

RickT
06-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks for your help RickT, much appreciated. I totally suspect it IS just a case of living with it. I can see lots of other threads on different forums about the same issue, but unfortunely no resolutions....yet! If you think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks again for your help!

no problem -

RickT

bodgerd
07-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks Gary1. Doesn't look like the windscreen has been changed, but can't tell for sure. PS - What is a scuttle panel?? Thanks.

gary1
07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
sorry mate its the plastic panel where the wipers are undo the wipers13mm move them back and forth they will come loose ,lift the bonnet up then prise the panel apart ,nothing to undo so you are ok its in 3 bits.once you have done that check for signs of black glue around the screen you can also check for any rubbish that gets behind it good look!