PDA

View Full Version : New Driver - Looking to buy a Volkswagon Polo - Need advice

SGT_Snacks-64
04-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi,

I passed my driving test around 2 months ago, I've been driving my mum's Ford Fiesta since then but now I'm looking to get my own car, and have decided to opt for a Volkswagon Polo. I'm looking for a 1997 model upwards as I like the shape and size of the car, and would prefer to have 5 doors as oppose to 3. Performance isn't a big issue with me so I'm not looking at any mods whatsoever.

Now I have a limit of £1500 - £2000, I've been hunting on Autotrader etc for private sellers selling Polos. However, when I check the mileage it's normally over 100,000 miles. Is this normal? I've heard petrol cars can get quite unreliable after 100,000 miles or so. Does this apply to the Volkswagon range? I read a review somewhere that the Polo's are pretty solid after this mileage but I'm looking for a definitive answer from someone who might know on here before I go splashing £1000 or so on an unreliable car.

Thanks for any replies,

Eshrules
04-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Hi,

I passed my driving test around 2 months ago, I've been driving my mum's Ford Fiesta since then but now I'm looking to get my own car, and have decided to opt for a Volkswagon Polo. I'm looking for a 1997 model upwards as I like the shape and size of the car, and would prefer to have 5 doors as oppose to 3. Performance isn't a big issue with me so I'm not looking at any mods whatsoever.

Now I have a limit of £1500 - £2000, I've been hunting on Autotrader etc for private sellers selling Polos. However, when I check the mileage it's normally over 100,000 miles. Is this normal? I've heard petrol cars can get quite unreliable after 100,000 miles or so. Does this apply to the Volkswagon range? I read a review somewhere that the Polo's are pretty solid after this mileage but I'm looking for a definitive answer from someone who might know on here before I go splashing £1000 or so on an unreliable car.

Thanks for any replies,

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

tbh, if you're working with 1500/2000, without sounding arrogant, you're going to have a challange on your hands.

i have a golf, but polos have the same reliability as most of the VAG cars... i wouldnt have thought a 97 plate with 100k> would be terribly unreliable, although you do have to remember this is a car that is 10 years old and certain things will wear, regardless of how its been looked after.

major thing to look for is the service history, make sure its up to scratch and that the timing belt has been changed in accordance with the recommendations.

check your suspension for general wear, things like bushes and shocks tend to be failing around now.

id also be wary about going private, with this being your first car and it being quite a large investment, i really would go to a dealer, small or independant are usually the best for bargains and you will have more comeback should anything go wrong....:beerchug:

Sam
04-05-2007, 09:50 AM
My mother has twice your budget and is looking at cars of the same type - it's proving tough.

My advice - go for the Skoda / SEAT version - same cars, same engines, slightly inferior build quality (but still better than a Farce Fiesta)

Carl's points above are the same for these cars.

SGT_Snacks-64
04-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the replies guys :D Nice to see this seems like a nice community.

Just had another look on autotrader. And realised if I go further afield "From Southampton to Wimbourne" there are some pretty decent bargains from private sellers. However I'd be taking someone with a little more car knowledge than I have, but there are some Polo's for just over £1000 with a lower mileage than I've seen.

I'll be hunting around local dealers too. I'm quitting smoking at the moment to may be able to extend my budget in a month or so, or look at getting a small loan to pay for part of the car. And I'll remember that "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" but again, thanks for the advice guys. I'll compile myself a checklist soon enough once the Co op decide to pay me "It's been over 2 months now, I've built up a lump sum but it's getting pretty fustrating."

Eshrules
04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
sam's suggestion is an excellent idea, a lot of seat are comparable with vw now, especially the mk4 leon/golf... my brothers mate has a leon, 110bhp pd and aside from the fact he has ragged the turbo to pieces, it was a beautiful car and has the typical reliability of the VW/audi brand.

honestly though, for a first purchase, steer clear of private sales, i have an awful feeling you will end up getting stung :(

as for the community... thanks for the kind words... i am sure a lot of people will agree that it's nice to have a new member pass such comment :D

Sam
04-05-2007, 10:37 AM
The wife wanted a Skoda, the snob in me said no, and I bought her an '03 Ibiza - it's a great little car.

The snob in me has now died and the hunger for an Octavia VRs wagon is so so bad.

SGT_Snacks-64
27-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi, thought I'd get back to you guys

My quest is over, and I'm in love :)

I found a VW Polo 1 litre P reg which cost £1495, I was able to stretch my budget. It was from a private dealer. The car is in amazing condition considering it's age and mileage.

The car is 5 door, brand new MOT, couple of brand new parts on there "Exhaust etc" the interior is clean and gorgeous. It's also in.. white :D

I was also offered a timing belt replacement for an extra £100, and for £125 more I now have a years warranty on parts. I felt this was a good deal. And now I have peace of mind.

I also saved £400 on my insurance with Direct Line with my Pass Plus :D

I've test driven the car, I'm in love with it, checked it all over and everything's in order.

Thanks for your help guys :)

SGT_Snacks-64
02-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Today's the big day, I'm off at 11:30 to pick up the Polo, I'll keep you guys posted and shove some pics on when I get it :)

MrE
02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Well it looks clean and tidy enough, hope you get many happy motoring years together!
Paul

RickT
02-06-2007, 10:46 PM
looks a tidy little car..

Enjoy.. and remeber.. any questions please ask!!

RickT