PDA

View Full Version : A4 B6 1.9 tdi 130 Remap

Blacky87
21-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi, iv recently purchased a 2003 A4 Avant 1.9 tdi 130 SE 5 speed and i'm considering getting it remapped. The car has covered 92k but has been well looked after and maintained. I was just wondering if a remap is a good idea at this sort of mileage? Also can the 5 speed box handle the extra torque? (iv read the 6 speed can handle more)

I live in the north west, can anyone recommend any companies, preferably in the Cumbria/Northumberland area where I can get this done?

Thanks

Matt

SebRogers
21-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

IIRC the standard torque figures are 285Nm for the 5 speed and 310Nm for the 6 speed - so yes, the 6 speed's clutch will handle a bit more. If the clutch is healthy it'll probably be fine, but occasionally the flywheel may baulk at the extra torque. Mine didn't like the extra torque of a remap at all (you'll know if this is the case - the whole car shudders under load around peak torque) and I reverted to stock. This despite the fact that the clutch and flywheel on my car at the time were only a few months old.

Don't let me put you off - plenty of people out there with remaps who are perfectly happy :) But worth knowing the potential pitfalls...

Borab0y
21-11-2009, 08:59 PM
You could get a switchable map, if you start having trouble you could switchit off until you get the clutch replaced.

SebRogers
21-11-2009, 09:05 PM
You could get a switchable map, if you start having trouble you could switchit off until you get the clutch replaced.

Good point. And most good tuners will tweak a map that's not behaving itself and / or offer a refund if you're not happy. But an uprated clutch kit isn't going to be cheap :D

Blacky87
22-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. Can anyone recommend any tuning companies who carry out remaps?

Marco34
22-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I seriously recommend more-bhp, although they are not close to you. They map the car to suit and I had one which made the car more drivable; more mid-range torque with better power, but smooth. They are well reviewed. I thought about it for years and was sorry I didn't do it sooner.

My car has been fine with clutch, felt like a whole new car.

benjie
22-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I'd like to echo what Marco said, more-bhp are nowhere near me, but he was a great bloke with good reviews, so I drove up there.

My clutch did go on the way home mind - that's what you get with a quattro and a quick left foot!

shark_90
22-11-2009, 11:40 PM
We offer the STS unit which allows you to apply the remap yourself, without driving anywhere!

Our base is in Mansfield and we don't have anyone any closer to you unfortunately but if you'd like any more information on the STS or would like to come and see us, please get in touch.

sr-performance
23-11-2009, 02:16 AM
And if you dont go to Ben at Shark, then we will come out to you mate...:beerchug:

Dave Avant
23-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Another More-BHP customer here on a 1.9TDi 130. (5 speed) Mine has been fine too, had mine done around 85K miles. Although it does spin the wheels easily, especially if wet!! Some might say the quattro is better for the grip after a remap, but with the FWD loosing grip it saves the stress on the clutch!?

As Marco says, made the car much more enjoyable to drive, gave more usuable power over the whole rev range, rather than the standard boosty 1800rpm to 3,000rpm then falling asleep until it hits 4,000rpm.

one litre wonde
25-11-2009, 09:22 PM
first off, exscuse teh name, i didnt realise i was a letter missing :lol:

anyway, my 6speed 1.9TDi 130bhp Quattro with 124k on the clock was mapped by Star performance and its now running 180bhp with 297lbft torque and everything is fine so far :D

faticus
26-11-2009, 08:23 PM
there is a company on DENTON HOLME TRADE ESTATE that does remaps ... never used them but might be worth looking them up seeing as they are in town. 2002 1.9 (130) avant owner ... IAN.