PDA

View Full Version : Golf Tow Bar

AndyH
04-05-2007, 06:32 AM
I am thinking about buying a used Golf probably 2006 model. I need to get a tow bar fitted to tow a small trailer. I was told yesterday that when fitting a tow bar, a lot of modifcation needs to be made to the rear bumper, and then the finished article looks really ugly. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks
Andy

Eshrules
04-05-2007, 08:17 AM
I am thinking about buying a used Golf probably 2006 model. I need to get a tow bar fitted to tow a small trailer. I was told yesterday that when fitting a tow bar, a lot of modifcation needs to be made to the rear bumper, and then the finished article looks really ugly. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks
Andy

im guessing that the bumper would have to be cut slightly to allow fitment of the tow bar, the only other modification would be for the wiring, which for a small trailer, will only mean single point electrics.

i think whoever you heard this off is generalising, like everything, you get what you pay for, pay a decent, reputable company to do the install for you and im sure you will be happy. go to a back street grease monkey and pay peanuts.... you get the picture ;) ill have a hunt and see if i can find some pics for you.:beerchug:

after looking around... i dont even think you have to modify the bumper to be honest....

Ben
04-05-2007, 09:11 AM
I too asked the same question here

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7320

and got minimal if zero response.

I also posted a question in here

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4117

regardin the blanking plate and pictures.

yep, no response

Pictures of peoples installs would be very helpfull.

Ben

Eshrules
04-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I too asked the same question here

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7320

and got minimal if zero response.

I also posted a question in here

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4117

regardin the blanking plate and pictures.

yep, no response

Pictures of peoples installs would be very helpfull.

Ben

this isnt a very well covered area, so people will choose not to respond rather than lead you down the wrong path or cause confusion and your response in the first thread, left very little room for response. :beerchug:

Sam
04-05-2007, 09:59 AM
I can only comment on the similar issue on a Passat, I can provide step by step pictures, wiring diagrams and so on, but they wouldn't help.

Tow bars have to be bolted to the subframe of the car, this usually requires rear bumper removal, cutting/replacement of the rear bumper beam and a bit of fabrication work.

My advice would be;

Go to - www.westfalia-automotive.de

Select English from the left hand menu

Select Catalog <sic>

Select your make and model of car

And then go from there - instructions etc can all be found.

Westfalia, as I'm sure you already know, are major players in the VAG world and in most instances they are much cheaper than VAG dealerships.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Ben
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Thankyou for that link and i will investigate further.

Reading other people comments about tow bars, I have learned that the majority of concern lies not with the fitting and wiring of the tow bar, but the cutting of the rear bumper / skirting as this is visible after it is done.

My car is colour coded all the way on the rear so any cutting would require a blanking plate.

What I was after in particular was any pictures of mk5 golfs that have had a removable tow bar fitted with a blanking plate before i go and spend the hard earned cash.

As this is such an untouched subject may I suggest that a tow bar image library be created to help everyone trying to imagine what their car could look like before they paid for what could turn in to a botch job.

I can add the 1st image of a touareg with a removable tow bar as my dad has one.

Ben

marathon
05-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Contact towsure. They have a website with all the info you need and knowledgable people on the end of the phone as well. They have everything you need and will even fit it for you. I fitted one ( with removeable ball unit ) to a markIV golf without any problem. YOu end up with a bit of redundant steel ( the support bar behind the bumper ) but keep it if you want to sell the car later without the tow bar. Electrics are a cinch if you buy their wiring kit. Not cheap ( Bosal ) but well made english engineering.